45 ACP Reloading Help

ShamrockIV

PLEASE HELP!!

I started reloading 45 ACP yesterday. i am having trouble. the bullets keep "tearing" the side of the case and ruining them. any ideas?? i will post a pic tonight. i am using lee full size dies.

ShamrockIV

man i been flaring the crap out of them and they still are creasing the cases!!

I am getting really frustrated!!

45acp.jpg

mr.big

show a pic of a sized case that has been flared,,it looks like you need to open it up some more before seating the bullet.

Tiny

deerjackie said:
could this be overcrimp? i dont do pistol just cf rifle and have seen this from overcrimping.

No over crimp from those pics although it could be possible there being crimped before the bullet being fully seated to correct OAL,however I to believe this to be Flareing related.

ShamrockIV

i have the three dies set.

i ahve the flare screwed all the way down. it looks like it is flaring maybe 1/4 inch of the case. still messign them up.

I am gonna buy some hornady bullets and see if the problem persists.
i was really hoping to get this going!!

AlexDad

If you have the 3 die set, the 3rd die is your seater AND your crimper. However, you do not want to crimp and seat at the same time. Except for revolver dies, I buy the deluxe 4 set deals. When I bought my 45acp set I could only find the 3 set, but bought the FCD separate just to have that fourth die.

You have to back your die way back out of the chuck and use your seater screw to get desired OAL. AFTER seating, then you back your seater screw way out and screw the die down to crimp. You want to crimp 45acp .469-.470.

Are you positive you are using bullets of the correct diameter? Jacketed, plated, fmj, etc are usually .451 and lead are usually .452.

Brad

ShamrockIV

not sure just bought the bullets at the reloaders bench. they were marked 45 acp

guess i will chuck these dies then and try something else. i really like lee dies though. this sux

after eading more on lee site i now know that it seats and crimps at the same time. not i really want t afour die set. seem easier to get setup right.

AlexDad

Before you chuck them, make a trip to Lebanon and I'll show you how mine are set up. Bring some of your brass, bullets and primers and we'll see where yours is set up different. Oh yeah, bring your dies too. I'm very pleased with my Lee dies. I'm sure your dies are fine and I'd rather you spend $15 for the fourth die than chuck a $30 set to buy a $42 set.

If you want to bring your gun, we'll do the "plunk" test to make sure your OAL will work out.

I'm shorter than a trip to Mt Juliet.

Brad

mr.big

if you are sure you are gettin the flare right I would guess you are crimping the case about .100 before the bullet is seated,,

W C

ShamrockIV said:
it looks like it is flaring maybe 1/4 inch of the case.

If the case is visibly flared 1/4" down from the mouth it is WAY over flared. My die only flares maybe 1/32" down from the mouth and just enough for the bullet to sit without tipping over off the case. Sounds like overflaring and then the seating die is catching part of the case as it tries to seat the bullet.

Latest posts