308 or 280?

breeze900rr

Time to add another rifle to the collection. I'm trying to decide between the 280 or the 308. I've owned a 280 before but never killed a deer with it before I sold it.
Anybody got one of these? If so whadda ya think about it?
I'm kinda lean'n toward the 308.
#1 cuz almost unlimited ammo choices.
#2 never had one.
I don't know whadda y'all think

JSTEVE

I have a Remmington 700 in 308. It really has stopping power. I have never used a 270 or 280. I know they will get the job done for deer. However, I have had to help track a few that were shot by someone else using a 270. With my 308 the deer usually drop like a ton of bricks. I had one run a little way once, which was really incredable seeing that my sholder shot had blown off his leg on the other side. He only went about 20 yards though.

W.Seay

I really like my abolt microhunter in 308! Unless you are into handloading, your bullet choices in 280 are nowhere close to what you can get for a 308. Personally, I would go with a 308.

Greentimber

.280 is superior in every way but one: ammo availability. 308 is much more widely available. If you buy in bulk online you won't have any issues, though.

Either one will kill deer-sized game fine. If you commonly shoot 300yds or more the .280 has a decided advantage.

breeze900rr

Thanx for all the input guys! That being said i got the 308! Ammo for now is Federal Premium 165gr gameking. Very accuarate in this rifle, we'll see what it does on deer!

jakeway

Well, you already have the .308, so I guess I'm a little late. I would have said that I would have boght the .308, simply because I already have a .270, which is pretty close to the .280, andd if I bought another rifle it would be a short action.

As for the poster that complained of trailing poorly hit deer with a .270, don't blame the caliber. I shoot a .270, my son Joe shoots a sweet little BSA .308, and I've noticed no real difference in killing ability. The .270 has a definite edge in longer range/flat shooting, but we almost never hunt in a place where that edge would apply. (Maybe next year if we go on that Montana antelop hunt.)

breeze900rr

jakeway said:
Well, you already have the .308, so I guess I'm a little late. I would have said that I would have boght the .308, simply because I already have a .270, which is pretty close to the .280, andd if I bought another rifle it would be a short action.

As for the poster that complained of trailing poorly hit deer with a .270, don't blame the caliber. I shoot a .270, my son Joe shoots a sweet little BSA .308, and I've noticed no real difference in killing ability. The .270 has a definite edge in longer range/flat shooting, but we almost never hunt in a place where that edge would apply. (Maybe next year if we go on that Montana antelop hunt.)
"BSA" never heard of that?

CZ284

This is a blonde or brunette question. However, if you compare the ballistics of the 7mm(.284 bullet) to the .308, the 7 mm is better overall in downrange energy retention.

I shoot a .284 Winchester in an A bolt that was rechambered (bought it in 7-08) and restocked with a Mc Millan synthetic, pillar bedded and floated. It shoots a Barnes 150 X bullet at 2850 fps into less than half inch groups. I'd put it up against any 280 any day, plus it fits in a short action. Downside to this cartridge is you pretty much have to reload your own, but it's well worth it. If anyone is interested in building an all around deer/ elk / antelope gun, try making one of these. I have a custom mauser 7 mag and never shoot it- like the .284 better.
Too bad this cartridge never really took off- it's great.

Bottom line, in the same bullet weight and velocity, you'll get better performance off the 7 mm than the .308.

jakeway

breeze900rr said:
Does BSA stand for Browning Short Action?

BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms...they were making firearms since the 1800.s, but went out of business years ago. A company started selling scopes called BSA, and even has the old logo (BSA with a wing on the B).

BSA also made motorcycles, but quit that business in the mid 70s.

Here is a pic of my son's BSA .308. Very sweet little lightweight sporter made in 1958.

IMG_3429.JPG

Latest posts