300 RUM with 200 grain Accubond?

Sniper

Anyone have any load info for this combination? I was curious to see how they worked for someone else and what velocities they were seeing.

Sniper

I have Retumbo, RL-25, H1000 and US869 on hand. I would be happy with any accurate load from 3000-3200 fps.

I know every rifle is different but what seating depth worked best? I was hoping to find a load that worked around 3.600", that way they would fit into the magazine box.

megalomaniac

91.5g Re25 with 3.625 COL gives me av 3319 fps with the 200 AB.

94g Re25 gave me 3406 fps, but groups opened up to .97 inch.

(out of a 28 inch barrel)

Sniper

26" tube here, 3400 seems like a pretty hot load even for a 28" barrel?

3100-3200 would be great for what I want it to do. I don't want to drive it too fast into what I might be shooting with it.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I've been fiddling with COL with mine. My magazine box won't accept anything any bigger than 3.630. A couple of days ago I measured and loaded some longer rounds of 180 Accubonds for next time at the range. I was able to get these loaded to 3.730 and still eject a loaded round from the rifle. I discovered that even though they wouldn't fit in the magazine box one round would sit in the magazine box with the nose on the feed ramp and then close the action on another essentially making the rifle a two shooter. I'll try these loads and see if the longer seating length helps accuracy. I may go longer but then I'll have to remove the bolt if I want to eject a loaded unfired round making it a single shot. I'd have to go up to the max COL for my rifle of 3.830 to reach the lands.

I researched these loads quite a bit a few weeks ago and found that most people were using 94-95 grs. of Retumbo for the 200 Accubond with most preferring the 94 gr. load. I found reported velocities of 3075-3225 with these loads depending on barrels. The Reloader 25 preferred load was 92.5 grs. at 3150. Most of these people were shooting 26 inch barrels and either Fed 215 or Win LRM primers. Keep em under max and have fun.

Sniper

I am probably going to start off with Retumbo and Fed 215's. I'm waiting for the bullets to come in. I'll post my results when I find a load.

megalomaniac

Not sure if the 3400 fps load was hot... no pressure signs whatsoever. However, I would never use somebodys data (including mine) just thrown out there over the net. ALWAYS research the loads with the major powder companies to find what the safe ranges are, then ask around to see if there seems to be a sweet spot within that range. It goes without saying, back off a few grains the first time when loading for your particular rifle and work up.

Those velocities were through my chrono....no telling if that's accurate. Of course it says my .280 with 140 grainers near max book charges are only 2800fps, so I don't think its consistently reading high.

The advantage (or disadvantage) of the RUM's is that they're so overbored you've got to have a long tube to burn all that slow burning powder. It's an incredibly inefficent case, compounded by using it in 26 inch and under barrels.

The RUM's really begin to shine at a minimum of 30 inches of barrel length. They are one of the few cases out there that the velocity goes through the roof just by adding 4 to 6 inches.

Latest posts