26 nosler

JBell

Just dumped another one. High shoulder shot. Same thing. Entrance the size of a pinkie. No exit. But the deer folded. Don't know what will happen when they actually run

Jcalder

Just dumped another one. High shoulder shot. Same thing. Entrance the size of a pinkie. No exit. But the deer folded. Don't know what will happen when they actually run
If it makes you feel better, I heart shot one Saturday. It ran 30 yards before we ever found the first spot of blood. Luckily, I could see the deer before we ever go to the point of impact. But a heart shot deer should have bled much quicker. 150 eldx out of a 280ai around 3k. I got an exit as well. I would expect the accubond to push thru

JBell

No I just buy off the shelf. I'm not a bullet guru. I wanna say with the 7mag I just have federals or something

backyardtndeer

Pretty crazy with the velocities that 26 nosier is supposed to be pushing that you are not getting exits.
But a heart shot deer should have bled much quicker. 150 eldx out of a 280ai around 3k. I got an exit as well
Agreed. I killed two this season with 6.5 cm with 143 eldx, both gave exits and bled very well, neither went more than 35 yards. One of those was inside 75 and the other inside of 55 yards. Killed one last year with the same load at about 170 yards and dumped him drt. Have also been impressed with the 178 grain eldx i have loaded for 308. I killed 3 or 4 with those and they all fell without taking a step. Best as I recall, one of those I hit high shoulder, did not exit and I recovered the bullet.

Remi

High velocity and a relatively soft bullet, not surprised you've not got an exit.

If you want exits shoot a harder bullet.

JBell

High velocity and a relatively soft bullet, not surprised you've not got an exit.

If you want exits shoot a harder bullet.
Could you suggest a harder bullet? I'm sure that behind the shoulder, would have produced a exit. But things happen in the moment. Especially 100 yards or so free handed

Remi

And actual Nosler Accubond, not the long range. But, if I were to shoot a magnum I'd be running the Barnes TTSX or Barnes LRX, or Nosler E-Tip. Barnes love speed and you have plenty of that.

JBell

Ok. I have Barnes ttsx for some of my other rifles. If I can find it in 26, I will give it a try

Jcalder

It is but the way I understand it the accubond long range is made for long shots and slower impact velocity so it's made softer. I could be wrong.
I would guess you are correct. Something tougher would be a scirocco 2. Biggest issue with the nosler cartridges, if you don't load your own you're stuck with what nosler puts out. That limits you pretty bad

DaveB

Hmmm. I have never shot the LR A-Bonds. Been using regular A-Bonds on deer for quite a few years. Every shot is a pass through and a blood trail that made for easy work.

If that is a LR round it is 129 grains and holy smokes it is really moving-between 3100 and 3400 FPS. What I really like is it can make use of IMR7828. Heavy for caliber still standing tall.

Just an opinion but I would switch over to the 140 gr partition ammo.
Check this place very frequently for both bullets and factory ammo

Whatever you do keep your brass as they are scarce.

Latest posts