Wildcat

Anybody used Federal Premium 60 gr Nosler on deer?

I know people use their Ar-15 on deer and have thought about it since that's my main coyote gun. The Barns ammo is hard to come by and I was looking at this.
[h3][/h3]

backyardtndeer

Obviously shot placement is key, however a 60 grain pill imho is too light for deer. I would not personally use a 223 for deer at all, but I have several other options.

Jcalder

My kid shoots Federal Fusion MSR 62 grain and has killed several. She uses an AR platform to do so.
A lot of people like this bullet and it was complete trash in a 223 I had years ago. One shoulder shot, and 2 neck shots later and the deer was still flopping around trying to get away. I learned that was the last time I mess with both a 223 and fusions for deer

Remington700

A lot of people like this bullet and it was complete trash in a 223 I had years ago. One shoulder shot, and 2 neck shots later and the deer was still flopping around trying to get away. I learned that was the last time I mess with both a 223 and fusions for deer
Hers have been heart shots. Even with that they have run farther than expected and bleed very little, as with all small calibers. That's why I moved her up to a 243.

huvrman

Even a ,22 will kill a buck. The question is do you want to have a better chance of dropping it there or increase your odds of a lengthy tracking job, spotty blood trail, and possible loss of the deer…. Deer are incredibly tough animals with an unbelievable will to survive.

mike243

I have killed several over the years and never had 1 run out of site, I have had heart shot with the 300 mag run 100y before. I keep it 100y or less 60-62g ammo , hog hammer and Remington sp works well, no need for 2 holes imo put it in the heart/lungs and let it work

David Sapp

I've killed about 10 deer with the Hornady 55 gr SP (1 deer) the Barnes TSX in 53 gr (2-3 deer) and the Fusion 62 gr. (6-7 deer). The Fusions were very reliable for me and left the best blood trails, shortest death run. I'd use any of those bullets, but have no qualms with the Fusion specifically. None of my 223 kills required more than one shot, but these were all relaxed deer.

Boll Weevil

The 223 was born in the 1950s and bullets have come a long way since then. It's amazing what modern day projectiles + powders can dispatch compared to 70 years ago.

BlackBelt

I considered using 223 for deer, but weighed out that I would probably have to do a lot more tracking. I like them to drop where I shoot them.
So I use a 30-06 and they never run more than a few yards...if they run at all.

Duck dogn

My daughter has a savage axis 223 and we use monarch sp from academy when available. I think it used to be 9.99 for 20 rounds. Long story short last year I gave her a long talk about neck or heart shot. So on juvenile when the buck walked out I asked her put it either place and send it. Shot rang out deer ran about 20 yrds and piled up I asked her again where she aimed she said she spit the difference and hit shoulder. It went in leg out of the leg into brisket out brisket and stuck under the skin in off side leg all the inner organs looked like jello shocking the crap out of me. But no tracking.

Tnshooter15

I know the 223 will do the job but I am hesitate to shoot anything below a 130 grains. Personally I will not shoot anything below 110 at deer sized animals

Jcalder

It does just fine if you can shoot, deer are NOT hard to kill if you calm down and make the shot count, people acting like the are armor plated cracks me up😂
I don't see anyone claiming a deer to be armor plated. But one thing I see quite often is parents trying to get little Billy or Susie out in the field much earlier than they're ready for. So they get em a 223 and come deer season they tote them to the woods. And here comes a deer and kids get all tore up, which is why we all hunt, and they make a piss poor shot. Wounding the deer for it to run off and die a miserable death. Yes, it's gonna happen to all of us the longer we hunt. My issue with the whole thing is the margin of error is next to nothing. Regardless of ability, there is so many better options out there, even for the youngsters.

knightrider

I don't see anyone claiming a deer to be armor plated. But one thing I see quite often is parents trying to get little Billy or Susie out in the field much earlier than they're ready for. So they get em a 223 and come deer season they tote them to the woods. And here comes a deer and kids get all tore up, which is why we all hunt, and they make a piss poor shot. Wounding the deer for it to run off and die a miserable death. Yes, it's gonna happen to all of us the longer we hunt. My issue with the whole thing is the margin of error is next to nothing. Regardless of ability, there is so many better options out there, even for the youngsters.
And a piss poor shot with any gun is a miserable death, like i said they work fine if you can shoot

THE DUKE

It does just fine if you can shoot, deer are NOT hard to kill if you calm down and make the shot count, people acting like the are armor plated cracks me up😂
I agree with you knight rider, I read some of these posts and just shake my head. Alot of people think you have tremendous speed and 7mag or 300 mag.

THE DUKE

I've seen them hit with 7mag and bigger never to be found.

Latest posts