5.56/.223 for deer opinion

Willysman

Of course shot placement is critical but I'd rather be over gunned than under gunned. I shoot a .280 with Hornady Super performance and have never had to track a deer.

Dennis

I've seen many deer killed with a .223 and a 22/250 and the devastation to the lungs and internal organs was very impressive. Using the proper bullet/load makes a huge difference.
Agree. I haven't used my .223 on deer but I wouldn't hesitate if I was using something like a nosler partition. I don't think people give enough consideration to bullet design when making statements about why a particular caliber is suitable or unsuitable for deer. The load used matters.

Winchester

Just want everyone's opinion on this. Me personally after carrying a 5.56 for 24 years overseas and seeing some of the stuff with how little stopping power it has there is no way I could ethically shoot a deer with one. I guess you could take a headshot but why limit yourself. Now I am sure some will say it's about shot placement etc. Which even with a .270 it's still about shot placement. But sometimes things happen and I would rather have a little more KE and a larger hole if I am off. Like I said just my personal opinion and my personal experience. I would not hunt a deer with less than a .243

Just wanted to see everyone else's view on this.
I couldnt agree more, 100 grn bullet in a .243 imo is the smallest round I would feel comfortable with.

rem270

It wouldn't be my first choice and I've said the same as you in the past about them. But I had my oldest nephew use my AR because he was still too small to fit the youth model .243 I got him. He killed his first deer with the AR and dropped it 2 years ago. Last year killed 3 with it 2 dropped and one ran maybe 75 yards. This year he was able to use the youth model and the youngest nephew used the AR. Dropped a buck on the juvenile hunt. Hornady 55 grain bullets work just fine. I will add all the shots were between 20-75 yards.

1smoothredneck

I have a bit of experience with 5.56mm and deer and have been involved in nuisance animal control over the years including deer in some very non-hunting non-permissive areas. Rifles chambered in 5.56 were our go to, not because we felt it was the best choice, but because we had suppressed weapons available and were confident and comfortable with them and they were already perfectly set up for low light shooting. Heavy for caliber ammo placed well works, even at reduced velocities of suppressor equipped weapons. Granted, small bodied deer were the norm, but I can't say it didn't work. And, like others have said, I'm familiar with some old boys down home who have poached many bruiser bucks with rimfire rifles, which was reported by state agencies, not rumors.

I CAN say, however, that outside that very limited niche, I would never use a 5.56 (or any other .22, no matter how fast) by choice for whitetail deer. I think rifles in .243 winchester are a fine baseline for deer performance, and offer so little recoil that most kids can master them just fine. I just feel there is a difference in a weapon chosen to do a professional job and one chosen for sporting purposes. Not talking anything negative about ARs here. Just CALIBER. Modern sporting rifles are fine and dandy for hunting. Just one man's opinion.

ThorThor

A couple loads that do work. 60 grain federal with a Nosler Partition. Speer Gold dot 75 or 64 grain. Black hills or Barnes Vortex with the Tsx 62 grain. Keep it at or under 100 yards and behind the shoulder and you will have a dead deer. Do not mess around with head shots.

redblood

I wouldnt hunt with it personally but out of all my short action rifles, my little cz 527 in 223 was the gun my son prefers. It's probably the lightest and most accurate gun i have ever held- its a cz after all. He has yugo 2 deer around 85 yards away. Bith shots were mid rib. Doe dropped, 3.5 yr old buck ran 10 yards. Have to say i was impressed. Just cup and core 55 grain softpoints. Nothing fancy.

crawford3546

I'll add some fuel here...55 gr. Vmax...they only take a few steps. They don't even know they've been shot. 250 gr. 450 bushmaster...they go farther because they know they've been shot. All are shot in shoulder area.

SaileAway

Before I knew what I was doing (Well, I still don't, but I know better), I was given a .17HMR and told to hunt with that. It was legal back then, apparently (In Louisiana). I shot a doe straight through both lungs and she dropped after about 20 yards of running. Bullets kill, even little ones, but knowing how unforgiving a smaller caliber is (And with military experience with 5.57), I now hunt with a 7MM and my wife uses a 45-70. I would feel terrible if I wounded an animal and left it to suffer because I wanted to prove I can use a smaller round.

Bell3wv

Just want everyone's opinion on this. Me personally after carrying a 5.56 for 24 years overseas and seeing some of the stuff with how little stopping power it has there is no way I could ethically shoot a deer with one. I guess you could take a headshot but why limit yourself. Now I am sure some will say it's about shot placement etc. Which even with a .270 it's still about shot placement. But sometimes things happen and I would rather have a little more KE and a larger hole if I am off. Like I said just my personal opinion and my personal experience. I would not hunt a deer with less than a .243

Just wanted to see everyone else's view on this.
This is an exit of a .204 45gr. soft point on Wiley. Shot placement and bullet. Anything from a sharp stick to an 🐘 gun I'll sling something at one

Attachments

• 29811.jpeg
    29811.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 50

Remi

This'll blow y'all's minds...... long read, but definitely worth it.

I was hoping someone would post this. Lots of info from using the 223.

bvoss

My son 9 now has shot 3 bucks with our AR 15 and the Winchester soft nose Bullets first one at 7 and the next two at age 8. None ran more than 50 yards. Two behind the shoulder and one high shoulder that dropped an 8 pt in its tracks. Not saying it'd be my go to carry or anything but for a kid, with the power point ammo, I've been pleasantly surprised.

Gronk

If I can ever get my 12 year old sighted in, he'll be shooting a .223. It's all I had and if it's a one and done deer hunting experience, didn't want to shell out for a deer rifle. That being said, unless he can get really good, consistent groupings, he knows he won't be hunting. He understands that there is very little margin for error with that caliber. If he wants to hunt again next year, we'll invest in a "true" deer caliber/rifle setup

Omega

While 223/5.56 wouldn't be my first choice, I have seen what an FMJ can do, and I wouldn't hesitate to take game with it if it was legal, and if that is all I had. But I have much better choices, so wouldn't take any of my 223s out for anything but varmints, and even then I would probably opt for the 300BLK or 277WLV.

Latest posts