.223 or 22-250

solodren

been debating these guns it seems as though the 250 shoots flatter and faster . going to try some coyotes after deer season. Also rossi makes a single shot in either caliber for 199$ the cheapest I found what do you guys think any advice would be appreciated.

Locksley

The 22/250 shoots flatter and faster so I would go with that. Also if you really want an accurate rife to hit at long range nothing beats a good bolt action in accuracy.

Monty

Both calibers are very good for yotes. Check out the ammo prices and availability - the .223 USED to be the more affordable and available, but our Iraq incursion seems to have affected both qualities of .223 ammo. I'm finding it more difficult to locate some of the .223 ammo that I like (like Black Hills).

With my eyesight, I don't shoot coyotes at the longer distances - over 150 - 200 yds., so the .223 is fine for me. If you'll be hunting in wide open areas (such as West Tenn.), then definitely the 22-250 is the way to go.

As a suggestion, don't scrimp on a scope, especially if you go with the 22-250 for the longer distances. Have fun!!!

Locksley

TNLynn said:
Locksley----How is a bolt action more accurate than a single shot????????????

There are some single shots that are accurate but most of them are based on bolt action rifles . The 40 X Remington has some single shots that are very rigid and thus accurate The most ridgld guns are bolt actions as there is not much play size of there parts or tolerance allowed in the moving parts in most actions.
In really accurate bolt actions used in bench rest contests the action is sleeved in an even larger more rigid sleeve to reduce inconsistencies that occur from one shot to the other. The most accurate bench rest records are all shot with bolt action rifles as they can have tighter match chambers and more rigid actions and still function.
An auto rifle has to have more clearances in the parts for it to work and a single shot like the sharps has a barrell that is not held as rigid as the bolt gun holds its barrel.
Locksley.

Latest posts