22lr vs 22 wmr

Tenntrapper

Ok, first a disclaimer.... I'm putting the cart before the horse by asking this. And, for me, I have some unanswered variables.

That said, would you use a 22 wmr for late season squirrel?

I'm fairly new to 22 wmr, I've got one and have owned others, but I never shot them much. I've heard they have a reputation to be not as accurate as a 22lr.

My experience with late season squirrels are that they are harder to get close to. Is the possible extended range of the wmr worth it?
Assuming of course that it is accurate enough. To be honest, I'm not sure how to word my question. But let's say the best you can get the wmr to shoot is 2" at 100, but your LR can do 1". There is more drop with the LR than the wmr, so obviously some Kentucky windage comes into play here. Is the flatter wmr trajectory worth the decreased accuracy?

I just put the wmr barrel on the 457, but have yet to shoot it. I shot some with it last year, but really don't remember how it did.

Anyone have any experience with using a wmr for squirrel...as it compares to the LR, and can share their opinions?

I strive to do only headshots on squirrel, so damage doesn't matter.

Thanks

ImThere

It will be a fine tree rat killer. Mine is very accurate. Maybe I got lucky. I've killed a few with it and took the heads off type of damage.

Huntaholic

Mine is plenty accurate, dime size or less at 50. I dont plan on shooting a squirrel at 100 yards. And like timberjack said above, its perfect for that shot at a hog or coyote or bobcat or pretty much anything else that you might want to kill while late season hunting.

rickyk280

I know you didn't ask about this caliber but I been a serious squirrel hunter for 60 years and tried about every rimfire there is. The 17 Hornady Mach2 is an effective round when the leaves is off in the fall of the year.

It's fast and flat shooting, sighted at 0.60 at 50 yards it never gets no higher than 0.70 and isn't but a a 1.26 low at 125 yards. If the leaves are on or hunting with a tree dog a good 22lr is all you need.

As for the 22lr vs the 22 wmr I would definitely take the 22 wmr rifle for the 100 yard shots.

Like you it's headshots or nothing for me. A friend of mine just re-barreled his 457 with a Walther barrel in 17 Mach2. The one in my avatar is the older 452 17 Mach2.

Tenntrapper

I know you didn't ask about this caliber but I been a serious squirrel hunter for 60 years and tried about every rimfire there is. The 17 Hornady Mach2 is an effective round when the leaves is off in the fall of the year.

It's fast and flat shooting, sighted at 0.60 at 50 yards it never gets no higher than 0.70 and isn't but a a 1.26 low at 125 yards. If the leaves are on or hunting with a tree dog a good 22lr is all you need.

As for the 22lr vs the 22 wmr I would definitely take the 22 wmr rifle for the 100 yard shots.

Like you it's headshots or nothing for me. A friend of mine just re-barreled his 457 with a Walther barrel in 17 Mach2. The one in my avatar is the older 452 17 Mach2.
I would love to find a 17 mach2 for my 457. Honestly never looked for one...didn't think they made them.

DaveTN

Interesting discussion. I've owned many .22LR's, never had any desire to own a .22 WMR do to the ammo price difference. But then all of mine have been plinkers, not used for hunting. If I need more power or range than a .22LR, my choices are .223 Remington or .308 Winchester. Probably not good for squirrels. 🤣

Tenntrapper

Interesting discussion. I've owned many .22LR's, never had any desire to own a .22 WMR do to the ammo price difference. But then all of mine have been plinkers, not used for hunting. If I need more power or range than a .22LR, my choices are .223 Remington or .308 Winchester. Probably not good for squirrels. 🤣
I started the discussion because although I've owned a few, I never really shot them much. I had heard that accuracy suffered with the wmr, and was asking if the increased range was worth the trade-off in accuracy. Actually it was a pretty stupid question...as what difference does extra range get you if you can't hit the target.
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that my 22 mag shoots pretty good....at 50 yards anyway.

mike243

10/22 are not known for accuracy unless its a T model, but so many parts you can put on them yourself it's crazy, $$ is all it takes, you can make any of them shoot great but it might take some time to figure them out, never seen milk box 22 mag ammo, 22 ammo yes but not mag

Latest posts