2022 DEER SEASON

C1295

Riding the goose egg train right now. Sad thing, with my schedule of family activities coming up, I will have only 5 more chances to hunt before season is over. If I end the season with a 0, that will end 26 straight years of at least 1 deer killed.
Dang, I haven't Killed one in the Past two years. Lost my private property my Grandfather sold and for the past two years been trying to figure out public land.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Dang, I haven't Killed one in the Past two years. Lost my private property my Grandfather sold and for the past two years been trying to figure out public land.
I grew up hunting public, killed a good amount on NF land. When I had my leases in 2010-2 017, it was nothing to kill 8-13 a year. Those were great properties! 2 days before archery opened, I got a call saying they had been sold and need to get my stands off by the weekend. It was a hard hit but I just kept after it. I own 29 acres, so it helps some. Best of luck rest of season.

DMD

I'm a goose egg. I've seen quite a few does and a few small bucks. Nothing I was interested in shooting. My hunting time has been very limited and I have been hunting some "new to me" public land and I haven't had much time to hunt on my leased property. Anyway, it all adds up to a goose egg.

C1295

I grew up hunting public, killed a good amount on NF land. When I had my leases in 2010-2 017, it was nothing to kill 8-13 a year. Those were great properties! 2 days before archery opened, I got a call saying they had been sold and need to get my stands off by the weekend. It was a hard hit but I just kept after it. I own 29 acres, so it helps some. Best of luck rest of season.
Thank you Sir, you as well.

killingtime 41

I've got a half a carton of goose eggs. Season ain't over but if it keeps up I'll have 1 more to add to the carton. But I'm not giving up yet. When all you hunt is public for the most part. The drive to go and most likely not see anything takes it's toll. But hey it's not over till it is.

Headhunter

For sure me, but I have passed a several nice deer including an easy 140" 10 ptr. I have hunted mostly in KY, and unless I make a mistake, which is for sure possible, I am looking for a better "antlered" deer, at least better than what I have or something "different". I have passed several nice bucks and even though overall numbers are down, I have still watched over 200 deer from the stand. The area I hunt has been down for most everyone for everyone I have talked to. The shooting has for sure been way down, no where near normal, actually has a been a couple days we did not hear even 1 shot, that has never happened in the 15 years or so I have gun hunted there.

Chiflyguy

I've got a half a carton of goose eggs. Season ain't over but if it keeps up I'll have 1 more to add to the carton. But I'm not giving up yet. When all you hunt is public for the most part. The drive to go and most likely not see anything takes it's toll. But hey it's not over till it is.
I feel your pain.
Did it for 12 years.

Chiflyguy

Have you tried knocking on doors?
Maybe that should be a goal for the spring.
There's a lot of land out there.
I was successful and I still have Illinois plates on my car😀

TboneD

Saw a lot during archery and muzzleloader the few times I went but only took the one shot during archery. Still not sure what happened with that doe other than she sure as heck didn't stand still when she heard me pull the trigger of my Excalibur Lol.

Thank the good Lord I got my shot on "Crab Claw" as I guess I'll call the buck I shot second Monday of muzzleloader. I've only gotten to hunt two or three times since then with maybe only one sighting of a deer, and then I cut my hand open requiring stitches last Wednesday. So that's kept me out of the woods.

Public land can be difficult for sure for different reasons and if you're in Unit L you'll have areas year to year that have simply had too many does killed, no matter whether it's public or private ground. "Hunting the hunters" gives me clues to what's being killed and what's not, as well as the pressure that's being put on deer in a particular area and the escape routes mature bucks might use.

JeepKuntry

Honestly I don't think you ever truly figure public out. So many wild cards there. For me I try to find sign post season before things green back up. I mark that on On X and revisit throughout the next fall. This year I took a different approach. Intentional looks for fresh sign, poo, rubs, scrapes. The lil 4 pt. I killed yesterday I found a fresh rub Saturday evening while walking out. For years I was afraid to scout during the season. Just get out there. If you fail on a morning hunt, take a different route back to the truck looking for sign for the next hunt. Learn where people tend to go and try to find out how a deer escapes from that pressure. If you want to consistently see deer, go to middle or west Tn. They have way more deer than we do here.

Latest posts