2020 Shed Report

AT Hiker

8a61a675f584e959a1a4e5f7858baa1f.jpg

NW Dickson County. Like clock work, every year, these young deer drop around mid Feb.
The match set were laying about 2 feet apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

Hit a piece yesterday with the wife and my youngest boy. It was his first trip out shed hunting and he loved it! We ended up jumping 11 bucks that were still holding but my wife found her first shed ever! I was pretty pumped for her!
8fad4dc99e29a1d04d79c7478406379b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 good shot

I was worn out from last week so I went and sat in a deer stand Saturday afternoon just to see what I could see. In all , I saw 9 bucks. They all still had both sides. Hardeman county near Sauly

lightsareout

I got out Saturday didn't find any. I did see a lot of deer out on the fields late afternoon. Saw a good number of bucks still holding both sides and one half rack.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Saw bachelor group of 4 that all still had their antlers in North Central Lincoln CO on Saturday. Not uncommon
for me to see antlered bucks up into turkey season in this area.

cbhunter

ruthunter":2j1ifivt said:
I have a picture but don't know how to post anymore

Hit "post reply" like you always do and scroll down until you see "upload attachment" then hit "choose file" and select a picture off your phone or computer. I think the final click is "add the file"

Easy peasy once you do it the first time

Don'tDrinkTinks

Fortunately his head was buried in leaves and the antlers didn't get chewed on. Waiting for a tag from fish and game so he can go to the taxi with another cape. We were really close to finding him and probably walked by him 30 times.

Ski

Yeah man those suckers amaze me with how they can disappear as they die. I've heard of them crawling up into brush and hollow logs to die. Anytime I have a difficult track, I begin gravitating toward the gnarliest thickets, steepest ravines, and water.

megalomaniac

Glad you found him! Bittersweet closure. Any idea where you hit him and what you could have done differently to recover him a few months ago?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Don'tDrinkTinks

Here's the rundown...

I hunt right on the fringe of a thicket in a river bottom and deer seem to just pop out at 60 or so yards. The second morning of gun season was a perfect setup for that stand... wind right in my face so if anything came out of the thicket they would have no clue I was there. He came out of the thick stuff and while he was making a scrape I was able to get a rock solid rest. Never been so calm before shooting a deer none the less a big deer. He was pretty much walking to my tree and was broadside / very slightly quartering to me. I stopped him at 16 steps ( i counted them off ) and boom. He bounded back into the thick stuff with his tail in the air. Def didn't look like he was on a death run... no mule kick, no stagger at the shot. Nothing. Had one small window I maybe could have slipped a follow up shot through but didn't want to chance it. He circled back to the four wheeler trail we walk in on head up slowly walking away. I was pissed.

I got down an hour later to where he was standing and nothing. No blood, no hair, no nothing. Walked to the edge of the thicket and nothing. I followed his path through the knee high grass and nothing. Walked to the four wheeler trail and walked up and down it probably 20 times. Nothing. I never found a single drop of blood. I just figured I straight up whiffed.

My rifle is zeroed at 200 and part of me thought I might have shot right over his back but it's been eating at me that I missed him at freaking 16 steps. Sunday we were shed hunting and I wanted to walk the thicket hoping we could find his sheds and we stumbled on some leg bones. We kept searching and never found anything else. My buddy walked back to the four wheeler trail to get the side by side and spotted some rib bones about 15 yards off the opposite side of the trail beside a fallen down tree and there he was. He was probably 40 or 50 yards from where I last saw him as he walked away.

Sad part was that we pretty much walked right by him for the rest of the season. Never smelled him, never saw him, never spotted buzzards. Nothing.

Maybe the bullet didn't expand much and just zipped through him? Maybe gut shot and exit and entry were clogged with gut? I have no clue.

JCDEERMAN

Don'tDrinkTinks":2r6f1pnk said:
Here's the rundown...

I hunt right on the fringe of a thicket in a river bottom and deer seem to just pop out at 60 or so yards. The second morning of gun season was a perfect setup for that stand... wind right in my face so if anything came out of the thicket they would have no clue I was there. He came out of the thick stuff and while he was making a scrape I was able to get a rock solid rest. Never been so calm before shooting a deer none the less a big deer. He was pretty much walking to my tree and was broadside / very slightly quartering to me. I stopped him at 16 steps ( i counted them off ) and boom. He bounded back into the thick stuff with his tail in the air. Def didn't look like he was on a death run... no mule kick, no stagger at the shot. Nothing. Had one small window I maybe could have slipped a follow up shot through but didn't want to chance it. He circled back to the four wheeler trail we walk in on head up slowly walking away. I was pissed.

I got down an hour later to where he was standing and nothing. No blood, no hair, no nothing. Walked to the edge of the thicket and nothing. I followed his path through the knee high grass and nothing. Walked to the four wheeler trail and walked up and down it probably 20 times. Nothing. I never found a single drop of blood. I just figured I straight up whiffed.

My rifle is zeroed at 200 and part of me thought I might have shot right over his back but it's been eating at me that I missed him at freaking 16 steps. Sunday we were shed hunting and I wanted to walk the thicket hoping we could find his sheds and we stumbled on some leg bones. We kept searching and never found anything else. My buddy walked back to the four wheeler trail to get the side by side and spotted some rib bones about 15 yards off the opposite side of the trail beside a fallen down tree and there he was. He was probably 40 or 50 yards from where I last saw him as he walked away.

Sad part was that we pretty much walked right by him for the rest of the season. Never smelled him, never saw him, never spotted buzzards. Nothing.

Maybe the bullet didn't expand much and just zipped through him? Maybe gut shot and exit and entry were clogged with gut? I have no clue.
What gun were you using?

Also, to clarify, did you all find him 40-50 yards from where you last saw him from your stand as he was walking away?

Latest posts