2020 New mandatory gear

Bucket

The hammock is a great idea. Several years ago I recall laying down in the leaves for a midday nap and waking up surrounded by a good sized flock of turkeys. I'm not sure who was startled more.

fairchaser

Congrats Setterman. Patience has killed more turkeys than any call. It's also the hardest to master. You are teaching us all to use anything we can to develop those skills.

Setterman

Roost 1":396qa6ku said:
Congrats buddy..... lots of guys don't realize when those birds shut up a lot of times they don't go anywhere at all...
Patience is one of my favorite tools.
It's shocking how little they travel once they get their little zone for breeding season. I've stuck with birds that didn't move more than 3 acres or so in an entire day.

Patience, patience patience is the demise of lots of turkeys when us hunters use it to our advantage

cowhunter71

Good Turkey. Like Roost said, patience can be extremely deadly, especially when exercised by a Jedi Master. The force is strong with us Old Schoolers :)

woodsman04

I haven't killed a turkey at daylight in a long time. Mostly from 10-3. If I find one at daylight and nothing else is gobbling I hardly ever roam. Just relax, when his hen leaves or the googans quit he'll gobble and be ready to play.
I need to get that hammock. I have been using those turkey lounger chairs for several years, if you get on one that's playing hard you can be more comfortable and still. Or if your taking a siesta it's pretty nice to get up against a huge red oak and snooze and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Setterman":2he1pwt6 said:
It's shocking how little they travel once they get their little zone for breeding season. I've stuck with birds that didn't move more than 3 acres or so in an entire day.

Patience, patience patience is the demise of lots of turkeys when us hunters use it to our advantage
I agree.
But then also see some old Toms behave like this for several consecutive days,
then one day they show up 2 miles away from where they were the prior morning (during early May here).

woodsman04":2he1pwt6 said:
I haven't killed a turkey at daylight in a long time.
Mostly from 10-3.
If I find one at daylight and nothing else is gobbling I hardly ever roam. Just relax, when his hen leaves or the googans quit he'll gobble and be ready to play.
I have been using those turkey lounger chairs for several years, if you get on one that's playing hard you can be more comfortable and still.
Same here.

And I remain baffled why so many turkey hunters simply seem to just "give up" @ 9am and quit hunting.

My one complaint with the turkey lounger is they haven't made it in a lightweight aluminum version.
It would be perfect if they replaced the steel frame with an aluminum frame.

I don't see the hammock working well for me,
as I just could not be so "movement-free" and "ready" as I can be while being semi-conscious in a turkey lounger.

Latest posts