2020 New mandatory gear

Setterman

This season has been down right horrendous for me, most of not all days are silent quickly after fly down. Nothing will drag a gobble from a bird it seems. I decided yesterday after a silent day and a woods nap on wet ground that I'd break out my Eno Super Sub hammock and throw it in my vest. As I've stated many times if the woods are quiet I don't roam, I stick in an area and wait for one to reveal himself. I find it to be deadly, far less turkey spooking, and did I say it was deadly. It's been wet and I'm tired of having a wet ass from laying on the ground whilst napping, so hence the bringing of the hammock. It weighs like 2 lbs and packs up the size of my fist.its also green so it is fairly camouflaged

This morning I actually got on a group of birds that blew it up on the limb and for a little while on the ground, of course hens showed up and eventually the woods went silent. Rather than leave the area to go roam, where it a turkey bump fest. I broke out the hammock for a nap. Settling in and using my fleece jacket as a blanket i was shortly in a nice deep sleep. People who know and have hunted with me know I can go from sound asleep to wide awake at the softest cluck 300 yards away. After about an hour of sleep I was awoken by a gobble not far from where the birds last were which was 100 ish yards out a bench. I rolled out of the hammock dropped it to the ground which took a second and set up. First call eager gobble, second call equally eager gobble...long story short in about 10 minutes there he was at 30 yards in full strut and seconds later graveyard dead.

Point of the story is I killed a really nice old mountain bird, by being patient and not heading off the wander aimlessly for miles where I'm doing more harm than good. I was patient, comfortable, and well rested when it concluded.

The hammock will now be a staple of my gear :rotf:

Attachments

• 938998EF-D29C-4960-ABE7-4F6098EAD485.jpeg
    938998EF-D29C-4960-ABE7-4F6098EAD485.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,575
  • 79869D26-3ECA-477E-B538-642020C23CF3.jpeg
    79869D26-3ECA-477E-B538-642020C23CF3.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,577

PickettSFHunter

Really nice bird. I started carrying a hammock on some trips when I started hunting an island for deer that was requiring me to walk many miles per morning heading to in my stand. Wasn't worth the trip back in for lunch/nap, so I carried the Eno and would eat and nap during the mid-day. It's actually quite comfortable isn't it.

Newt

That a boy Setterman congrats buddy good story and even better set of spurs, I love the color on them

deerfever

Nice bird! The hammock is definitely an innovation in turkey gear, that would definitely keep a man's patience level at an all time high! Congrats

Setterman

PickettSFHunter":tt3b6hfz said:
Really nice bird. I started carrying a hammock on some trips when I started hunting an island for deer that was requiring me to walk many miles per morning heading to in my stand. Wasn't worth the trip back in for lunch/nap, so I carried the Eno and would eat and nap during the mid-day. It's actually quite comfortable isn't it.
It's amazingly comfortable.

Setterman

scn":2kd3c3sp said:
Congratulations-beautiful bird! How did the TSS work on him?
It killed him stone dead, but I was surprised and also glad that he look perfect. I seriously couldn't find many pellets wounds. I'm not settled on my load/choke but will spend the off season tweaking. I'm a perfectionist and very detail oriented so I want it ideal and right now I'm not sure it's there.

ROVERBOY

Looks like that worked great. Nice bird. I've dozed off a few times myself, just sitting against a tree.

PalsPal

Congrats and great idea.

I would like to see a video of your reaction to hearing the bird and rolling out of the hammock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boll Weevil

Setterman":3lkmnmgv said:
Point of the story is I killed a really nice old mountain bird, by being patient and not heading off the wander aimlessly for miles where I'm doing more harm than good.
Good bird and even better story! No telling how many birds have been saved by wandering aimlessly.

catman529

I may have to bring my hammock to Alabama next year lol. I think your tactics would have done me a lot better than the bump fest I had on quiet birds down there. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BDS05

I just can't grasp why such a good turkey hunter would need TSS, a custom choke and a hammock? Not as good as you think but trying to run with the Jones' equipment wise?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts