2018 Blackberry and Blueberry Wine

BamaProud

I used Jack Keller's recipes (scaled up to 5-gallons): 22 pounds of Blackberries grown in my backyard. I bought 10 pounds of locally grown blueberries.

BLACKBERRY WINE (2) [Medium Bodied Dry]
4 lb blackberries
2-1/4 lb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp acid blend
crushed Campden tablet
7 pts water
wine yeast (I used Lalvin RC212) and nutrient

Pick fully ripe, best quality berries. Wash thoroughly and place in nylon jelly-bag. Mash and squeeze out all juice into primary fermentation vessel. Tie jelly-bag and place in primary fermentation vessel with all ingredients except yeast. Stir well to dissolve sugar, cover well, and set aside for 24 hours. Add yeast, cover, and set aside 5 days, stirring daily. Strain juice from jelly-bag and siphon off sediments into secondary fermentation vessel of dark glass (or wrap clear glass with brown paper), filling only to the upper shoulder of the secodary, and fit airlock. Leftover must should be placed in a 750-ml wine bottle with airlock (a #2 bung fits most wine bottles) and used for topping up. Top up when all danger of foaming over is past. Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three weeks. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow a year to mature to a nice semi-sec. [Adapted from Raymond Massaccesi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook]

UAK59ks.jpg

yoOGDEF.jpg

EYN5Djf.jpg

HIGHBUSH BLUEBERRY WINE (2)
(Medium Bodied)

2 lb. blueberries
1 cup red grape concentrate
1 3/4 lb. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/4 tsp. yeast energizer
1 crushed Campden tablet
water to one gallon
wine yeast (I used Lalvin RC212)

Wash and crush blueberries in nylon straining bag and strain juice into primary fermentation vessel. Tie top of nylon bag and place in primary fermentation vessel. Stir in all other ingredients except yeast, Campden and red grape concentrate. Stir well to dissolve sugar, cover well, and set aside for 12 hours. Add crushed and dissolved Campden tablet and set aside another 12 hours. Add yeast, cover, and daily stir ingredients and press pulp in nylon bag to extract flavor. When specific gravity is below 1.030 (about 5 days), strain juice from bag, stir, and transfer liquid into glass secondary fermentation vessel. Attach airlock and place in warm place. Rack in three weeks and again in two months. When wine is clear rack again, stabilize and add red grape concentrate. Wait 30 days and bottle. Allow a year to mature. [Author's own recipe]

dralarms

BamaProud":foyppbns said:
I have read about banana wine on Homebrewtalk.com everyone seems to agree with you. I might try it this winter.

Mines almost free. My wife buys bananas and then when they start turning she'll peel, vacuum seal, and freeze whatever is left. I wait until I have 55 to 60 lbs.

BamaProud

dralarms":378wiks3 said:
Mines almost free. My wife buys bananas and then when they start turning she'll peel, vacuum seal, and freeze whatever is left. I wait until I have 55 to 60 lbs.

Is that for a 5 gal batch? Most recipes I see on the internet call for about 5 pounds per gallon.

dralarms

BamaProud":39cywwg4 said:
dralarms":39cywwg4 said:

Is that for a 5 gal batch? Most recipes I see on the internet call for about 5 pounds per gallon.

Actually just racked it off and got 9 gallons. I had 68 lbs of bananas, peeled, and frozen. Tossed in a bucket with about 4 oz of pectic enzyme, then added 3 gallons of apple juice (I never add water). Then I added a tablespoon of kmeta to keep it from browing until it thawed out. 24 to 36 hrs later there was more juice than fruit. Stirred and added sugar and yeast. A week later(today) I rack it off into carboy (s) and let it finish.

dralarms

Go to tractor supply and get their 20 gal "feed and seed" bucket. It's a food grade brute. I have made 2 at a time. Lol

BamaProud

dralarms":3t9mu2vl said:
Actually just racked it off and got 9 gallons. I had 68 lbs of bananas, peeled, and frozen. Tossed in a bucket with about 4 oz of pectic enzyme, then added 3 gallons of apple juice (I never add water). Then I added a tablespoon of kmeta to keep it from browing until it thawed out. 24 to 36 hrs later there was more juice than fruit. Stirred and added sugar and yeast. A week later(today) I rack it off into carboy (s) and let it finish.

I think I'm going to try a 1-gallon batch of banana wine with about 5 pounds of bananas...68 pounds is nuts!

With that volume I suppose you use pumps to rack?

dralarms

BamaProud":8hf9guyj said:
dralarms":8hf9guyj said:

I think I'm going to try a 1-gallon batch of banana wine with about 5 pounds of bananas...68 pounds is nuts!

With that volume I suppose you use pumps to rack?

Oh yes. The allinonewinepump.com is the berries (pardon the pun).

BamaProud

6 months later, 30 bottles of Blueberry and 29 bottles of Blackberry wine is bottled. The Blueberry turned out to be 15.75% ABV and the Blackberry is 18.75%. Its a little harsh now, but in a few months it should be fantastic.

03FlcAS.jpg

QEByDGn.jpg

AT Hiker

Where's the invite? I've got 20lbs of antelope bologna about to go on the smoker, it should pair well with that fermented nectar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

BamaProud":1ws03jcl said:
I'm always open to a trade!

Whats the proper antelope bologna to homemade wine ratio?

Good question. I'd rather not do the math on what I have invested in antelope meat, probably be best if my wife was left in the dark as well[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts