2021 Blackberry wine

BamaProud

2021 Blackberry wine is in the bottles(30 of them). Berries were grown in my back yard. Its a lot of work., but I enjoy it. Next years crop should be blooming in a couple of months.
pvzov4f.jpg

bigtex

Nice and clear!!
I didn't make a batch last year and only have a couple of bottles of my 2020 vintage left.
I thinned my blackberries out this Fall so i'm hoping they will produce well so I can make another batch this year.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I would like to see the recipe you used to make this! If you have some time, post it up. The best wine I make is Blackberry, and I love it.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I would like to see the recipe you used to make this! If you have some time, post it up. The best wine I make is Blackberry, and I love it.
Sounds like we need to have a homemade wine tasting competition. I will volunteer as a judge, I don't have a very sophisticated palette, I grew up in Missouri drinking St. James fruit wines.

BamaProud

I use Jack Keller's recipes for pretty much all my wines.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipe3.asp

Looks like his website is not working anymore....(luckily I saved the recipe). Anyway this recipe is for 1 gallon of wine, but can be scaled to whatever size batch you want. I usually make 5 or 6 gallon batches.

BLACKBERRY WINE (2) [Medium Bodied Dry]
4 lb blackberries
2-1/4 lb granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp acid blend
crushed Campden tablet
7 pts water
wine yeast (I used Lalvin RC212) and nutrient

Pick fully ripe, best quality berries. Wash thoroughly and place in nylon jelly-bag. Mash and squeeze out all juice into primary fermentation vessel. Tie jelly-bag and place in primary fermentation vessel with all ingredients except yeast. Stir well to dissolve sugar, cover well, and set aside for 24 hours. Add yeast, cover, and set aside 5 days, stirring daily. Strain juice from jelly-bag and siphon off sediments into secondary fermentation vessel of dark glass (or wrap clear glass with brown paper), filling only to the upper shoulder of the secodary, and fit airlock. Leftover must should be placed in a 750-ml wine bottle with airlock (a #2 bung fits most wine bottles) and used for topping up. Top up when all danger of foaming over is past. Place in cool (60-65 degrees F.) dark place for three weeks. Rack, allow another two months to finish, then rack again and bottle in dark glass. Allow a year to mature to a nice semi-sec.

Latest posts