2008 Montana Muledeer Hunt

Tony_The_Terrible

So myself, my father, and my grandfather just arrived back into town from our 2008 Montana muledeer hunt. We were successful, in that we filled all our tags, but even more so, we spent more than a week surrounded by this beautiful scenery chasing muledeer. We averaged seeing 30-40 muledeer per day,with 5-10 of those being bucks. We also averaged seeing 5-10 whitetails daily as well, although it would have to have been a good whitetail buck in order to take it out there (the tags were good for either species). In addition to all the deer, we also saw hundreds of pronghorn antelope and a solitary elk. The rut was picking up pretty heavy, so nearly every doe we say had a buck in tow.

I did not draw a buck tag this year, but both my father and grandfather had one. I settled for a muledeer doe tag. The first buck we killed belonged to my father. We called it the fishhook buck, because it had a sticker off the left side of its rack shaped like a fishhook.

Montana_2008008.jpg

If you look close, you can see the "fishhook" on the right side of the picture.

Unfortunately, I did not get any good body shots of the "fishhook buck". To compensate, I took plenty of pictures of my grandfathers buck. Each of the three of us posed with it. I helped my grandfather stalk this buck, which was bedded with a couple of does on the top of a "gumbo", which is Montana-speak for hill, and after the buck had stood up, my grandfather dropped it in its tracks with one clean shot. He was unable to climb to the top of the hill because of the terrain, but my father and I ascended to the top where the buck was waiting. We took our pictures up there, before the drag, and my grandfather took had his picture made at the bottom once the drag was completed.

My father:

Montana_2008002.jpg

Montana_2008001.jpg

Me:

Montana_2008003.jpg

The Buckslayer himself:

Montana_2008005.jpg

Here is a picture of me with all 3 deer, including my doe, and if you look just left of my head you can see the rack of my grandfathers buck.

Montana_2008009.jpg

My dad and grandfather make this journey every year, and although I don't always get to go, each time that I am so priviledged adds more memories to those already forever etched in my mind. This is the true meaning of the phrase "quality time".

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
That's cool that your grandad makes that hunt every year. Congrats on a great hunt.

Tony_The_Terrible

Mostly public land, in the Custer National Forest. It was a do-it-yourself hunt. The hardest part about Montana is drawing a buck tag, which you have to apply for in March.

skynimrod

Nice looking Bucks!
Those Muleys sure don't drag like the whitetails here in Tn. do they? I have seen spikes almost as bis as horses.

Tony_The_Terrible

skynimrod said:
Nice looking Bucks!
Those Muleys sure don't drag like the whitetails here in Tn. do they? I have seen spikes almost as bis as horses.

No, they are a little more difficult to drag than the local whitetails, thats for sure! :grin:

I estimate both of these bucks to weigh around 350-400 lbs.

Tony_The_Terrible

ChippewaPartners said:
You mentioned that, "My dad and grandfather make this journey every year".

How are they able to draw general deer-only tags every year or do they purchase elk-deer combination tags via the lottery draw?

Congrats on a fine trip.

For the last 5 consecutive seasons, my dad has put in for the elk-deer combination tags. His success has been 4/5, and in the year he did not get drawn, he got the tag on the alternate's list. My grandfather (sometimes) puts in for the combination, but sometimes just the Deer A tag. Still, he doesn't get drawn every year, but they still go either way.

Sure, the combination tag is $200 + more than just the Deer A tag, but the odds of getting drawn are SIGNIFICANTLY increased. For example, there were between 1500-2000 Deer A tags drawn, while there were 11000+ combination tags drawn. My dad has had a buck tag every year for the past 5 years. What he really wants now is to finally get drawn for the area in which he hunts to hunt elk. He has 5 bonus points, and he is hoping against hope that he never sees bonus point #6.

skynimrod

Tony_The_Terrible said:
ChippewaPartners said:
You mentioned that, "My dad and grandfather make this journey every year".

How are they able to draw general deer-only tags every year or do they purchase elk-deer combination tags via the lottery draw?

Congrats on a fine trip.

For the last 5 consecutive seasons, my dad has put in for the elk-deer combination tags. His success has been 4/5, and in the year he did not get drawn, he got the tag on the alternate's list. My grandfather (sometimes) puts in for the combination, but sometimes just the Deer A tag. Still, he doesn't get drawn every year, but they still go either way.

Sure, the combination tag is $200 + more than just the Deer A tag, but the odds of getting drawn are SIGNIFICANTLY increased. For example, there were between 1500-2000 Deer A tags drawn, while there were 11000+ combination tags drawn. My dad has had a buck tag every year for the past 5 years. What he really wants now is to finally get drawn for the area in which he hunts to hunt elk. He has 5 bonus points, and he is hoping against hope that he never sees bonus point #6.

:cool: I hope he gets it.

Latest posts