Montana Archery Elk Hunt

rattlesnake01

Congratulations!! Can you shed some light on how drawing for tags works? Do you have to pay the out of state license fee every year just to earn the point? Or is there just a point system you buy into? I really want to get started getting points!

jfclarktn

Congratulations!! Can you shed some light on how drawing for tags works? Do you have to pay the out of state license fee every year just to earn the point? Or is there just a point system you buy into? I really want to get started getting points!
You can just buy bonus points every year and start building them up, without applying every year. You'll have to signup for an ALS number with Montana FWP, which is basically your license number from now on, and then buy bonus points for elk, mule deer, or whatever you'd like to hunt. There are also preference points to help you draw. Preference points help you draw the general tag, and bonus points help you draw the limited entry tags. I can help when its time to buy points or apply, because it can be overwhelming. I signed up for a subscription to Gohunt.com after the first year out there and it helps explain the application process in the western states, shows you draw odds for certain hunt units, gives you a breakdown of each unit, what the terrain is, how much public land, etc.

I always thought it was unattainable or super expensive, but a buddy from North Dakota talked me and my brother into applying to hunt mule deer a few years ago. Until you get out there you can't understand how much public land there is, and just how big everything is.

rattlesnake01

You can just buy bonus points every year and start building them up, without applying every year. You'll have to signup for an ALS number with Montana FWP, which is basically your license number from now on, and then buy bonus points for elk, mule deer, or whatever you'd like to hunt. There are also preference points to help you draw. Preference points help you draw the general tag, and bonus points help you draw the limited entry tags. I can help when its time to buy points or apply, because it can be overwhelming. I signed up for a subscription to Gohunt.com after the first year out there and it helps explain the application process in the western states, shows you draw odds for certain hunt units, gives you a breakdown of each unit, what the terrain is, how much public land, etc.

I always thought it was unattainable or super expensive, but a buddy from North Dakota talked me and my brother into applying to hunt mule deer a few years ago. Until you get out there you can't understand how much public land there is, and just how big everything is.
I appreciate that man, that gives me a good starting point!!

rhinoblakes

Great job of maneuvering and taking what the elk and conditions gave you, very cool! Thanks for sharing the details and also for passing along information.

Latest posts