Montana Archery Elk Hunt

jfclarktn

Took a few years to draw this tag, but it was well worth the wait! Put alot of miles on the boots, and somehow it was hotter there than in Tennessee, but it finally came together and on my birthday at that!
Elk1.jpg
Elk2.jpg

jfclarktn

Awesome bull! Give us some details!
We'd been hiking into some public the past 3 days and were into the elk, but couldn't get one to commit. Hearing those things bugle is the coolest thing ever! Had a chance on a small bull the night before but never could get a shot, and thought it was probably gonna be my only opportunity. We got up early and were driving by a private ranch and saw a bull with some cows, tried to call him onto public, but he must've winded us and bolted the opposite direction. Driving back to another spot we were glassing some bluffs and somehow spotted this guy, bedded beside a rock at the top of a ridge. We got our bearings, drove to the backside of the ridge and hiked up there with the wind in our favor. We found the rock he was beside but he was gone. There were some steep ravines full of juniper bushes running down between the ridges. We figured we'd screwed something up but kept checking them anyway, and boom, there he was, 100 yards away, bedded down looking away from us. We backed out and realized we couldn't get any closer on that side, and went around to the other side of the ravine. Got lucky and were able to crawl to the edge until we saw his antler tips. I ranged and he was only 25 yards away, almost straight downhill. Instead of trying to jump him or make a cow call we just waited. It felt like 5 minutes, but was more like 45. Once he stood up his head was behind a juniper bush and I was able to draw and stand to get a clear shot without him seeing me. Put one straight through him and into the ground on the other side. With the wind he didn't hear my shot and barely flinched. A couple of seconds later he knew something was wrong and started to trot off before I got another arrow out and ready to shoot. Before I had a chance, he went back down in the ravine and bedded down. I watched him die 100 yards away...then I totally freaked out hahaha! Took some pictures, then started quartering him up. Got lucky again and there was a BLM dirt road at the top of the ridge, so we only had to pack him out about 400 yards. Hunt of a lifetime and a great way to turn 44.