1st Question: Moon vs. Flat Nocks

SBS

Hey y'all, I'm probably gonna be seeking quite a bit of advice here for a while. I started bowhunting with a compound back in '89 but I know next to nothing about crossbows. I bought my son a Carbon Express Covert XB - 3.3 for Christmas, used but in new condition, and he is gonna be pretty dang excited in the morning. He will be 14 in a couple weeks and he's killed 8 so far with a rifle but wants to expand his season next year and try it with a xbow. As you can see, I know how to abbreviate xbow but that's about as far as my knowledge goes, lol. I wanted to ask questions sooner but he gets on here too and I didn't want the surprise ruined.

So my 1st question is about nocks. The bolts I got him are Carbon Express Piledrivers and they came with moon nocks installed but also included 6 flat nocks. Why? Are there advantages to each style or is it just personal preference? We'll get lighted nocks before next season but it will just be target shooting until then.

Also, have any of you used these bolts and what did you think of them? If you don't like em, which ones would you recommend and why?

I'm sorry I'm so long- winded but let's face it: I'm barely getting warmed up on the questions. I wanna do all I can to help him shoot well on targets and then to make the best shots and quickest, cleanest kills possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, and Merry Christmas to all of you and to all of yours!!!

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Some manufacturers state to use flat or moon nocks so I suggest checking there first. I prefer moon because then I know the string will ride the same every time. Not sure what safety system the Carbon Express crossbow has but make sure he keeps his thumb down when shooting!!. I've used Carbon Express bolts and they get the job done. Good luck.

SBS

Thanks for the advice Mag. We should receive an owner's manual from Carbon Express soon so that may clear up the issue but if not I'll give em a call.

Latest posts