FPS Question

New to crossbow hunting, was just wondering what FPS is acceptable for Deer and Black Bear. Right now I have an older recurve That's 295/300 fps with 425 grain bolts W/ 100 grain broadheads. I don't just want to go shoot at em and not be able to drop em with what I have.

Rakkin6

You are good man, with a 425 grain arrow at 300 FPS you are shooting about 85 foot pounds of kinetic energy for deer. My only advice would maybe be to look at a fixed head instead of one of the wider 2" mechanicals to get a pass through. Look at Tooth of the Arrow, Ramcat Hydroshock or one of the G5 broadheads.

Rakkin6

No problem brother, not saying you can't shoot a mechanical but when the head deploys it takes away energy and with them usually being a wider cut they take more energy to push through. Now this is just my opinion but I would try the Ramcats first they were right on with my field points when I shot some my buddy had. Tooth of the Arrow heads were really close to field point accuracy. But you honestly can't go wrong with either of the three I mentioned from my last post but if I used fixed blade those are the two I would go with. And that was out of a 400 fps crossbow.

Latest posts