• Help Support TNDeer:

10ml problem

cmn

I have 2 Savage mls. One I have no problem with removing the spent primer. The other one is nearly impossible without a tool to push it out from the back...Any cure for this?

scn

Supporter
I think this will solve your problem:

Looks like the best way to carry is to use some discarded fly line to make a loop to wear around your neck until needed. I suspect we can find some of that.

It really works well!

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

GMB54

A Savage MLII holds the primer by the rim in the bolt. That capper wont work.

Did you mean the old Savage ML that used the modules? That is a whole other matter entirely. If it is the old module model, your vent liner might be wasted too. Those vents are much different than MLII vent liners. Not sure you can even get them any more. The plug would need to be converted to take the MLII vent liners.

I did find a guy making the old style module for $12 each.

cmn

A Savage MLII holds the primer by the rim in the bolt. That capper wont work.

Did you mean the old Savage ML that used the modules? That is a whole other matter entirely. If it is the old module model, your vent liner might be wasted too. Those vents are much different than MLII vent liners. Not sure you can even get them any more. The plug would need to be converted to take the MLII vent liners.

I did find a guy making the old style module for $12 each.
no I should have stated 10ml2

Chief44

The spent primers on mine are also hard to get out sometimes. Not sure what causes this as it doesn’t happen every time. Usually I can close the bolt and dry fire it on the spent primer and then it will slide out. Before I reload it of course. Not sure if it’s good on the firing pin to do this or not but it usually works.

jlanecr500

Supporter
The root cause is improper headspace. The firing pin drives the primer cup into the breechplug. Then, when the charge goes off, the primer is blown partially out of the primer cup into the bolt face. The gmb work around works by driving the primer back into the primer cup with the firing pin strike.

Dennis

The root cause is improper headspace. The firing pin drives the primer cup into the breechplug. Then, when the charge goes off, the primer is blown partially out of the primer cup into the bolt face. The gmb work around works by driving the primer back into the primer cup with the firing pin strike.
This is my experience as well. I keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my possibles bag just in case this happens. But for me it happens less often with Federal primers.

Latest posts