Smokeless 10ml problem

Smokeless

cmn

I have 2 Savage mls. One I have no problem with removing the spent primer. The other one is nearly impossible without a tool to push it out from the back...Any cure for this?

scn

I think this will solve your problem:

Looks like the best way to carry is to use some discarded fly line to make a loop to wear around your neck until needed. I suspect we can find some of that.

It really works well!

GMB54

A Savage MLII holds the primer by the rim in the bolt. That capper wont work.

Did you mean the old Savage ML that used the modules? That is a whole other matter entirely. If it is the old module model, your vent liner might be wasted too. Those vents are much different than MLII vent liners. Not sure you can even get them any more. The plug would need to be converted to take the MLII vent liners.

I did find a guy making the old style module for $12 each.

cmn

A Savage MLII holds the primer by the rim in the bolt. That capper wont work.

Did you mean the old Savage ML that used the modules? That is a whole other matter entirely. If it is the old module model, your vent liner might be wasted too. Those vents are much different than MLII vent liners. Not sure you can even get them any more. The plug would need to be converted to take the MLII vent liners.

I did find a guy making the old style module for $12 each.
no I should have stated 10ml2

Chief44

The spent primers on mine are also hard to get out sometimes. Not sure what causes this as it doesn't happen every time. Usually I can close the bolt and dry fire it on the spent primer and then it will slide out. Before I reload it of course. Not sure if it's good on the firing pin to do this or not but it usually works.

jlanecr500

The root cause is improper headspace. The firing pin drives the primer cup into the breechplug. Then, when the charge goes off, the primer is blown partially out of the primer cup into the bolt face. The gmb work around works by driving the primer back into the primer cup with the firing pin strike.

Dennis

The root cause is improper headspace. The firing pin drives the primer cup into the breechplug. Then, when the charge goes off, the primer is blown partially out of the primer cup into the bolt face. The gmb work around works by driving the primer back into the primer cup with the firing pin strike.
This is my experience as well. I keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my possibles bag just in case this happens. But for me it happens less often with Federal primers.

BringBackThe80s

If this is a new issue in that gun with that load and you haven't already done so, then check and confirm 1) that your vent liner has not eroded out of spec; and 2) that your breechplug does not have carbon buildup between the primer and the venting.

The empty space between the ventliner and the primer acts as a shock absorber for the pressure spike inside your barrel--much the same as a muffler on a car or suppressor on a rifle. If the vent is eroded or the open space is filled in with carbon, then the pressure spike is transmitted straight through to your primer and you will get more blowback, more jamming, and possibly more flattening.

recurve60#

Or his breech plug vent is overdue for replacing. After so many shots the whole in the vent burns out too large cause more back pressure, pushing the primer backwards. Worth a shot replacing the vent liner.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I only have that problem if I fire a primer only with no load. I do as others said and just fire again on the spent primer.

jlanecr500

Or his breech plug vent is overdue for replacing. After so many shots the whole in the vent burns out too large cause more back pressure, pushing the primer backwards. Worth a shot replacing the vent liner.
Think about it. If headspace was correctly set, the primer cannot be blown back because it has nowhere to go. I'm shooting 40 cal sml's with no vent at all mimicking centerfire cartridges at over 70kpsi and with properly set headspace, the primer does not move.

Latest posts