HUNTR podcast- Big Ohio buck with A TN connection

CliffordN

I'm beginning to believe they may not have as strong of a case as was first suggested, unless they are waiting on DNA test results. What could be the hold up?

killingtime 41

Of course now even if he's found not guilty. There will be lots of people saying he's guilty they just couldn't prove it. So the whole thing will be tainted for life. Most of everything I've read or listened to. Apparently none of it is true. Cause they all say he confessed and that rumor and this rumor.

double browtine

I don't know what to think about it now. If he killed it legitimately, (I think he did) I'm happy for him. If he didn't, then he should be punished. But the thing with the DA, I'm leaning towards the DA is using his powers to just make a spectacle of it all cause he is jealous he didn't harvest the buck.

double browtine

surely you aren't suggesting that an officer of the court would lie ? ;)
I'm not suggesting that the DA is lying, just that he probably made a phone call to the ODNR after the kill pics came out. And said you need to investigate! I think he's a little but hurt cause apparently he was hunting the deer for several seasons and had pictures of the buck.

rem270

I'm not suggesting that the DA is lying, just that he probably made a phone call to the ODNR after the kill pics came out. And said you need to investigate! I think he's a little but hurt cause apparently he was hunting the deer for several seasons and had pictures of the buck.
My question is, would they have responded so quick had it not been a DA that called? I believe so over a deer of this size. But a "normal" deer not so much of a response time, unless it was someone eijt that kind of authority.

Ski

My question is, would they have responded so quick had it not been a DA that called? I believe so over a deer of this size. But a "normal" deer not so much of a response time, unless it was someone eijt that kind of authority.

OHDNR yes they would have. They're pretty serious and run a tight ship. Ohio pulls a huge portion of out of state license sales annually because of the realistic big buck opportunity. And they fiercely protect that resource for sustainability. If you're going to poach, Ohio isn't where you want to do it. I know guys that have done penitentiary time for it.

rem270

OHDNR yes they would have. They're pretty serious and run a tight ship. Ohio pulls a huge portion of out of state license sales annually because of the realistic big buck opportunity. And they fiercely protect that resource for sustainability. If you're going to poach, Ohio isn't where you want to do it. I know guys that have done penitentiary time for it.
That's awesome stuff right there. Wish it was like that everywhere!

However, I do have to brag on KYDNR. They were on a poaching case quick back in Dec right after it was reported and had the guy fined and took his deer within 2 weeks of the anonymous tip.

Ski

That's awesome stuff right there. Wish it was like that everywhere!

However, I do have to brag on KYDNR. They were on a poaching case quick back in Dec right after it was reported and had the guy fined and took his deer within 2 weeks of the anonymous tip.

That's what they have to do. KY is another one that draws in big buck hunters from all over so they get lots of OOS money too. You can bet they're going to protect it.

Another angle is publicity. Whether killed legally or poached, that's a world record contender killed in the state. Big bucks attract big money, and OOS licenses just went up in price last year or so. There's a lot of competition amongst the big buck states for license sales and having a record size buck recently killed by an OOS hunter puts a state in the top slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of this slow walking isn't also just a little bit geared toward milking the publicity by keeping the buck relevant and fresh in mind. Might not be the major motivation but it sure is a fringe benefit. I'd be interested to find out if OOS license sales spike next season.

Bone Collector

This is the in line with very question that was asked on the podcast ATHiker posted about a giant killed on Fort Leonardwood. The host asked should someone who shot a giant be held more accountable than someone who shot a basket rack 8 pt?

The answer is no IMO. I don't care how much harder it is to replace the big buck. At the end of the day a deer was poached. The only reason we care more about the big buck is due to hunters being hyper-focused on antlers and thinking killing a big buck legitimizes them as hunters, and then there's the jealousy….

Bone Collector

You can't change them after the fact. The time stamp can't be changed once picture is taken.
What about photoshop or something like that. There are folks that are good with those programs and you can't tell the difference. Doubt they'd analyze the photos for tampering, unless someone claimed they were tampered with and there was evidence that it could be true.

Ski

What about photoshop or something like that. There are folks that are good with those programs and you can't tell the difference. Doubt they'd analyze the photos for tampering, unless someone claimed they were tampered with and there was evidence that it could be true.

There could theoretically be an argument for something like that, but what are the odds and what happens if no other evidence, or even blatantly contradictory evidence supports otherwise? The person doing the tampering would then have the spotlight on them and if exposed would be in a heap more trouble than the person they were trying to frame.

My thoughts are that if the guy cheated he'll be found out. And if the DA cheated he'll be found out. Investigations take time because nobody wants to leave a stone not turned. The investigators will wrap it up once they're satisfied there's no more information to be gotten from either side.

CrossVolle

The most plausible scenario is that it was killed in the City property adjacent to the DA's land where it was known to live. From OnX it looks like a thick jungle in there. Great place for a big old deer, as well as a poacher to hide.

themanpcl

Another podcast….

Great stuff. After hearing this it was apparent that the early reports did a lot of freelancing...Still not sure if it went down the way he said but also 100% believe that there is collusion between the DA, DNR and others to screw him over and that is wrong. The timeline and "evidence", if it were presented to a real judge, would probably have been tossed.... I'm sure there is more to come but there will surely be no punishment for the DA, DNR or any of the "good ole boys". Now, if he's guilty of poaching (trespass) and not the "written permission" BS, then by all means, punish him per the law.

Latest posts