how do u pattern a big buck

JCDEERMAN

I just read this thread for the first time. Hilarious.

"if you continuosly see deer cross the road at the same place, you might conclude, they did not get there by helicopter. Therefore, it could be a good place to hang a stand." - BW

:lol:

Bushape

When you have time you should check out Wildlife Habitat Solutions vids on youtube. A lot of good information.

fairchaser

When the hair on your neck stands up while scouting, that's probably a good spot to ambush a mature buck. All the elements mentioned by others come into play. Understanding deer movement, know where bedding areas are and food, knowing where doe groups bed and how rutting bucks travel to get to those groups. Knowing how hunting pressure affects their movements and how they avoid hunters. Ideally, if you know this one season, then you already know how and when to kill him. Plan that strategy and be prepared to execute it on the first hunt having not stepped foot in his area before everything is perfect. The idea is to figure where and how you can kill him when he's not making a mistake. Because he won't!

Be prepared for a lifetime of learning and frustration with very minimal and sporadic success.

huvrman

I use cameras to determine direction of travel, then backtrack or go forward from there to find bedding or feeding areas. Regardless of your technique though, time in the woods and hunting at times you normally wouldn't (noon, for example) is critical if wanting to increase your chances at getting a big buck. I got a few picks of a big buck on a salt lick in August at noon. Didn't see that deer again until 2 years later on November 28th at 1100. Had hunted almost every hunting day for 2 seasons prior but never stayed out past 1000. That day I was with my wife and decided to hang out just a little longer. That deer ended up scoring 174.5. Big bucks don't get big by being predictable...

TN Whitetail Freak

Jaahspike":1t5c3bde said:
I hear all of these stories about how hunters figure out where a big buck's home and bed are. My question is. ..once I get a big buck on camera, more than once what do I do then? Do I try to put another camera somewhere else? I want to hear how yall do it

Follow my thread "the Nomad buck" in the trail cam section where I've been tracking a good tn buck. He has been on 7-8 different cameras and the only pattern at the time is he's on certain cameras with a south wind and a whole set of different cameras with a North wind. with that information and time of day on cam I can make a educated guess on where he beds..he has 3 areas. One of the beds will disappear with foliage drop but I'm hoping to kill him before then. He showed up on my first cam at 3pm last October 12th. I have made an assumption he was shifting to the cam area from his summer range which i found this summer .75 miles e and se. Camera placement was determined by bucks direction of travel on cam. Of course much of it is making educated guesses but they do logic behind them based on known facts of what you've observed and found scouting. My 2018 buck in the profile pic was a patterned buck in that I had encountered that deer in that same area 3 years in a row but he had not been a shooter until 2018. If you know deer and have woodsmanship, time, and more time, you can pattern specific bucks.

AlabamaSwamper

I've got several in the wall that were shot exactly where their pictures were took In August hundreds of times.

I shot a 6.5 one time that was never photographed outside 100 acres in four years. But he was killed 1/2 mile away.

I shot a4.5 last year 1/2 mile from his summer ground. I had one picture of him there in August with his buddy who was killed right where they lived all summer. A 5.5

I killed another 4.5 last year that shifted his range as did the whole bachelor group 1/4 mile the first week of November. Never seen them do that in 15 years of running cameras on that property. Was odd but he's dead nonetheless

There is no rhyme or reason but most can be killed where you watch them all summer

Crop land regions is an exception. I hunt by big woods and pines

megalomaniac

Ala swamped, you used trail cameras so you weren't 'real hunting'. :)

I miss bowwriter. He was the greatest troll on TN deer ever. No one could ever hope to achieve his level of greatness.

He had a special way of pushing buttons in people, thereby triggering them without them even realizing they were being played. Ofc, there was always a hint of truth buried behind the button pushing.

I bet if you could have fast forwarded bowwriter to his hunting prime now, he would be advertising trail cameras and food plot seeds to kill big bucks. He was just lucky enough to experience 'real hunting' before all the commercialization.

Oh, and I do agree with bowwriter in that is impossible to pattern mature bucks without cameras or food plots, with a small caveat... in eastern hardwoods, it is true. But out west (or east with the Aug velvet hunt), it is possible to pattern mature bucks on big ag.

But I find it more enjoyable to pattern a mature buck with trail cameras than just blindly stumbling into one by pure luck. To me, the work running trail cameras is the 'real hunting', and killing the buck is just anticlamactically pulling the trigger or releasing the arrow. But thats just me, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts