how do u pattern a big buck

Jaahspike

Master Chief said:
bowriter said:
You cannot pattern a mature buck that has been hunted. he willpattern you first.

But thatis just my opinion without food plots, bait or cameras. You know, real hunting.

Cameras don't improve your chances. In fact, they decrease your chances (haven't you seen the countless posts about how you shouldn't run them because it causes too much pressure.. Some of which you posted in) People that can kill deer they have on camera are better hunters than those that aren't good enough at hunting to be able to overcome the added pressure cameras give. (And for those that don't run cameras dont take that out of context. Killing deer you have on camera (or any deer for that matter) is nothing to get big headed about. I'm just showing BW that his logic is flawed as it is harder to kill a deer you pressure by putting out cameras)

BW just doesn't have the skill to do it apparently ;)

I don't think you are any more of a "real" hunter than anyone on here. Your lack of modesty and desire to try and make yourself feel superior are not characteristics a "real" hunter posses. You are a smart guy with a lot of experience, but you're knowledge doesn't make up for a terrible attitude.

I agree completely! If you have to tell everyone you are the best....then you probably aren't!!! He probably makes a lot of new hunters feel like idiots with his comments. Thanks for the contributions BW!

BW, please feel free to defend your arrogance! It was a simple question I asked.....several people responded wanting to help. You continue to make yourself look foolish every time you write a post!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:
You cannot pattern a mature buck that has been hunted. he willpattern you first.

But thatis just my opinion without food plots, bait or cameras. You know, real hunting.

Cameras don't improve your chances. In fact, they decrease your chances (haven't you seen the countless posts about how you shouldn't run them because it causes too much pressure.. Some of which you posted in) People that can kill deer they have on camera are better hunters than those that aren't good enough at hunting to be able to overcome the added pressure cameras give. (And for those that don't run cameras dont take that out of context. Killing deer you have on camera (or any deer for that matter) is nothing to get big headed about. I'm just showing BW that his logic is flawed as it is harder to kill a deer you pressure by putting out cameras)

I don't think you are any more of a "real" hunter than anyone on here. Your lack of modesty and desire to try and make yourself feel superior are not characteristics a "real" hunter posses. You are a smart guy with a lot of experience, but you're knowledge doesn't make up for a terrible attitude.

Master Chief-do you really believe that? You are far smarter than to say something like that. I don't mean about me being any more hunter, I mean about the camera thing. I seriously doubt you could face me with a straight face and say that. :)

bowriter

R.I.P.
Jaahspike said:
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:

I agree completely! If you have to tell everyone you are the best....then you probably aren't!!! He probably makes a lot of new hunters feel like idiots with his comments. Thanks for the contributions BW!

BW, please feel free to defend your arrogance! It was a simple question I asked.....several people responded wanting to help. You continue to make yourself look foolish every time you write a post!

Okay, I will defend myself since I said nothing about one bit better hunter than anyone. But since you bring it up...

Oh, I don't mind looking foolish when I am right. It is easily proven. Take away the food plots and cameras and bait and see what happens to the kill (not harvest) of big bucks on television and for you. I say it is easily proven. Are you up to the challenge? Here is a chance to really make me look foolish.

I have never owned a trail camera or had a food plot. However, I also no longer hunt antlers. But you can put egg all over my face. Hunt nothing but natural browse, no fields or food plots and I'll tell you what. You can continue to use your cameras.

How about it for next year? Want to make Bowriter look foolish? Who's in? All you have to do is kill a 130 or better for it to qualify.

And as for my skill, want to compare number of deer that qualify for a record book? I don't send mine in but you can come count them if you want. Maybe we might have a little wager. But to make it interesting, you can't count deer killed over food plots or bait and only the ones with a bow count. :)

Shed Hunter

bowriter said:
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:

Master Chief-do you really believe that? You are far smarter than to say something like that. I don't mean about me being any more hunter, I mean about the camera thing. I seriously doubt you could face me with a straight face and say that. :)

Yes, BW I could tell you that with a straight face. You are smart enough to know that pressure will decrease your chances at seeing a mature buck. In fact, I have read countless times from members as intelligent as BSK, yourself, and many others that walking in and hanging a camera will add pressure. We can either conclude that cameras make it harder to hunt a deer (that is, at least cameras without a vehicle to get you to the location without pressuring the area) or pressure doesn't matter. Which is it?

I do believe people over play the intelligence of a deer a little bit such as in don't hunt a stand more than three times. You can hunt a spot more than three times and kill a big deer. Walking in the woods to hang a camera will not ruin the area. Most members are smart enough to realize that no amount of pressure will make it impossible to kill a deer, but does pressure on a spot help it? Not at all.

Shed Hunter

bowriter said:
Jaahspike said:
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:

Okay, I will defend myself since I said nothing about one bit better hunter than anyone. But since you bring it up...

Oh, I don't mind looking foolish when I am right. It is easily proven. Take away the food plots and cameras and bait and see what happens to the kill (not harvest) of big bucks on television and for you. I say it is easily proven. Are you up to the challenge? Here is a chance to really make me look foolish.

I have never owned a trail camera or had a food plot. However, I also no longer hunt antlers. But you can put egg all over my face. Hunt nothing but natural browse, no fields or food plots and I'll tell you what. You can continue to use your cameras.

How about it for next year? Want to make Bowriter look foolish? Who's in? All you have to do is kill a 130 or better for it to qualify.

And as for my skill, want to compare number of deer that qualify for a record book? I don't send mine in but you can come count them if you want. Maybe we might have a little wager. But to make it interesting, you can't count deer killed over food plots or bait and only the ones with a bow count. :)

I'll continue hunting to enjoy it and not make it a contest.

But I would love to see your deer just to see them. I have no reason to wager anything.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:
Master Chief said:
bowriter said:

Yes, BW I could tell you that with a straight face. You are smart enough to know that pressure will decrease your chances at seeing a mature buck. In fact, I have read countless times from members as intelligent as BSK, yourself, and many others that walking in and hanging a camera will add pressure. We can either conclude that cameras make it harder to hunt a deer (that is, at least cameras without a vehicle to get you to the location without pressuring the area) or pressure doesn't matter. Which is it?

I do believe people over play the intelligence of a deer a little bit such as in don't hunt a stand more than three times. You can hunt a spot more than three times and kill a big deer. Walking in the woods to hang a camera will not ruin the area. Most members are smart enough to realize that no amount of pressure will make it impossible to kill a deer, but does pressure on a spot help it? Not at all.

Yesd, of course pressure does decrease your chances. I figured youhad one of those cameras that sent picture straight to your computer like the "TV Stars" have. However, if you are smart and I figure you are, there is a way to decrease that pressure.

In the early of trail cams, hunters were checking them every day. Today, a walk in the woods once a week doesn;t hurt a lot. But I'll admit this: Cameras are not that much of a tool in natural feeding situations. It is when they are on food plots or bait that they become so valuable. I don't see how a situation such as this can be defended.

You have a food plot. You camera not only tell what is feeding there but when and at what point it enters. What skill, other than shooting is required?

How can an 8X10, shooting house on stilts be considered a stand? You go sit an look out the window. That is hunting???

And yes, I have done it. I have killed deer from one. I have done it over bait in Canada. I was not comfortable with it nor did I call it hunting.

Food plots and trail cams have done a great deal to DECREASE the woodsmanship of young hunters growing up. They see Tiffany and whoever climb a tree or get in a ground blind and kill a huge deer and expect they can also do it. And consider this. If you watch much outdoor programming, have you noticed the proliferation of ground blinds over tree stands? Think about why that is.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Mike- The part of TN that I hunt, has never been known for big bucks. However, Ihave seen that slowly changing and a lot this year. I have never hunted west TN and to be truthfull, when I was "trophy" hunting, I hunted TN very little. But it isn't apples and oranges. Twenty years ago, a book buck was just as hard to kill anywhere as they were in TN. Think of the equipment changes and deer herd sizes.

Well, maybe that isn't exactly true. In the Midwest, there were more deer over 125 to hunt. However, it took the same woodsmanship and deer knowledge to hang the stand and get the 30-yard shot. On the other hand, one of the "book bucks" I have came from an AL swamp and another came from a swamp in LA. The two from TN both came fromlarge hardwood tracts (Cheatham WMA for one) the other from a 2,500 acre tract in Cheatham CO. Both public land bucks. So thatis four that came from less than ideal conditions. I'll admit, all but one of the rest came fromt he Midwest.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Master Chief-TN bucks thaT 150+? I can't shw the to you. I sold them to B&C. They have them on display in the entry way.

Get serious. Why don't I show you the ones over 180 that I killed at AEDC?

Shed Hunter

bowriter said:
Master Chief-TN bucks thaT 150+? I can't shw the to you. I sold them to B&C. They have them on display in the entry way.

Get serious. Why don't I show you the ones over 180 that I killed at AEDC?

Then please do. I love seeing big deer. I know you have pictures

bowriter

R.I.P.
I have a contractual agreement that keeps me from showing the pictures. If you will come by the house, I can show you the four full body mounts. They were too big to mount as one, we had to spilt theminto four different parts.

Jaahspike

And I bet you are "right" all the time!!! And sure I am up for the challenge since I don't use food plots or bait. I am sure YOU hunt with clothes only YOU made and a bow that only YOU made and arrows that only YOU made right? If you use anything someone else made that gives you any kind of "advantage" over a deer then that disqualifies YOU according to YOUR rules. Isn't that what camo and faster bows and deer stands or ground blinds do right?

And just because YOU have never had or done something doesn't make YOUR way the right way. If YOU haven't noticed....everything seems to be all about YOU!!!!!

By the way, YOU do not need anyone's help making YOURSELF look foolish.....you do enough of that by YOURSELF!!!

Since YOU are really old, I am sure YOU have more deer that qualify for a record book. YOU are all about YOU and only YOU! YOU can make any type of rules YOU want that will favor YOU and all that YOU have done!!!

How about this....let's compare how many people YOU have ticked off by YOUR arrogance vs. me. That would be interesting to me!!!

What a miserable life YOU must lead. I feel sorry for YOU!!!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Jaahspike said:
And I bet you are "right" all the time!!! And sure I am up for the challenge since I don't use food plots or bait. I am sure YOU hunt with clothes only YOU made and a bow that only YOU made and arrows that only YOU made right? If you use anything someone else made that gives you any kind of "advantage" over a deer then that disqualifies YOU according to YOUR rules. Isn't that what camo and faster bows and deer stands or ground blinds do right?

And just because YOU have never had or done something doesn't make YOUR way the right way. If YOU haven't noticed....everything seems to be all about YOU!!!!!

By the way, YOU do not need anyone's help making YOURSELF look foolish.....you do enough of that by YOURSELF!!!

Since YOU are really old, I am sure YOU have more deer that qualify for a record book. YOU are all about YOU and only YOU! YOU can make any type of rules YOU want that will favor YOU and all that YOU have done!!!

How about this....let's compare how many people YOU have ticked off by YOUR arrogance vs. me. That would be interesting to me!!!

What a miserable life YOU must lead. I feel sorry for YOU!!!

I agree with you 100%. See, I'm right again. :)

bowriter

R.I.P.
Just think, all the vitriol strated with this simple statement which I stand behind 100%

You cannot pattern a mature buck that has been hunted. he will pattern you first.

But that is just my opinion without food plots, bait or cameras. You know, real hunting.

lungpuncher1

bowriter said:
Just think, all the vitriol strated with this simple statement which I stand behind 100%

You cannot pattern a mature buck that has been hunted. he will pattern you first.

But that is just my opinion without food plots, bait or cameras. You know, real hunting.

Why don't you get on thehuntingbeast.com and tell those guys that? There are literally dozens of guys on there that have killed countless p&y bucks on public land with a bow. Those bucks have been hunted, chased, pushed and pressured greatly and they still can pattern them by bed hunting and intense scouting. I'm really not trying to start an online argument but you were an outdoor writer, and a paid hunter. I'm sure you didn't hunt highly pressured deer much. You went to a outfitter, shot one of their mature bucks and went home.

That's not exactly patterning and hunting pressured deer.

Latest posts