how do u pattern a big buck

MUP

Ok, here he is. One of ALL of the bucks I have killed in the woods, no food plots added, and no fields to scan. But, I digress, I never saw this buck before on my cams, until I pulled the cards a few weeks after I killed him, and I had 3 pics of him after all! :D

IMAG1074_zps0b39f6d6.jpg

Oh, and he just topped 130" btw. :grin:

Hills and hollers, gotta love'em! ;)

ImThere

So you cant pattern a big buck unless you pattern a big buck
Put out cameras, maybe, but dont check them
Scout or maybe not. but dont walk around in the woods for sure
Hunt the spot 3 times no more. unless you want to
Hunting private land increases your chances until it dont
Food plots help shooters not hunters
Hunters dont hunt food plots or ag fields
That about sums it up. Im pretty confused now
Sounds like none of us know what we are doing or we all do? Lol

Jaahspike

I am sorry this took a bad turn. I was just sick of his "I'm better than you" comments. Thanks to all of you for trying to seriously help me.
BW. ..probably best for everyone if we stop posting on this forum about our differences.

infoman jr.

I killed a mature buck in September in a food plot that had a camera on it. It's a wonder the deer didn't just fall dead when I woke up that morning.

Mudbone

I patterned a mature buck and shot him. He lived. Next year was able to pattern him again and missed. Suburban deer that traveled a specific route of connecting wood lots tho :).

Fleet Fox

The first year I ran a camera I had a high success rate of getting pics of mature bucks during the summer and fall. The property hadn't had any hunting pressure for 20 years or so and they didn't know any better. I could also ride the gator around and see several bedded down in the woods and they would just stay put. Now I run several cameras and spend more time than I should checking them. I typically get a pic or 2 early in the year of an old one then they become ghosts. I also use true blackflash cameras and move them around.

The best way to pattern a big buck is to know where they bed, which on this farm, doesn't change from one year to the next. Glass fields from long distances and watch what they do during the season. Young deer grow up and develop the same habits as the older ones. After hunting the same property for several years, you should be able to figure out the main trails that does and younger bucks use versus the travel routes of older bucks. The most efficient way to pattern a mature deer isn't really to try and pattern them at all. Wait until the timing is right and sit up where the does bed down.

I have about come to the conclusion that cameras are fun, but do more harm than good because I don't have the patience to not check them all the time. I enjoy all the pictures, but I typically see all the bucks I get on camera when I am working on the farm and glassing food plots and large fields. (other than scrape pics) I also can't remember more than a time or two of even seeing a mature buck during early bow season, so it would probably benefit me to not bow hunt during early season unless one of the 3 year olds is too big to resist.

I also have to deal with knowing there is 300 acres across the road that has no hunting pressure and some large alfalfa fields, so the mature bucks spend their time at that country club until the alfalfa goes dormant, then come to my country club when the does need attention and my food sources are tasty.

diamond hunter

I gotta say the inferiority complex of some of the people in this thread,namely one,is sad.I will also say there are hundreds of people on TN deer,if given the opportunity and the finances,could go to numerous lodges around the country and Canada and shoot with a bow large bucks and write about it and I happen to be one of them.When someone continuously makes others feel inferior, from there on out I just take what they write with a grain of salt and move on.

WesNW

When I see the posts, I completely avoid them. I caught on to the "better than you" garbage after I joined. Didn't take long.

Descint4pionter

I get a lot out this just reading but i like to see pics too. Surely a hunter that bags a 150-160 inch buck has killed a living room full of wall hangers. But theres always them one-hunt wonder guys.

WesNW

They might, but there all " protected" . Can't dare show the common man! We're just rednecks, we wouldn't understand!

in the dog house

Here are a couple that where shot in woods or cut over. I didn't pattern them, but hunted travel corridors that they use. So in a way I guess they where patterned. The first was with a gun, 10 point 144. The 11 was with a bow grossed 134 and change and made the registrey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,097

Rockhound

I haven't read all the post, but I will throw my 2 red pennies in the pot.

We have food plots, great for evening hunts and seeing deer but I have NEVER seen a mature buck in one.

In order to kill a mature deer, you HAVE to hunt where mature deer will travel, which may be some off route trail where the other deer travel. For example my best stand doesn't produce alot of deer sightings but 90% of the sightings will be bucks, they know that hot does get pushed through the area and they travel through looking for a scent trail. The stands I have that produce 5+ deer a hunt does not produce big buck sightings.

In my immediate area if you want to consistently kill a good deer, you have to get in tight in the thick stuff and hunt the off trails.

The best way I have found to hunt a food plot is to get in the thickest spot around it and wait on the bucks to scent check the deer entrance/exit points.

woodsman87

It all sounds easy on this thread, but imo it is dang difficult to kill them, whether you use food plots and cameras or not.

I have hunted for a long time, and never really figured anything out that I would set in stone except for do not spook them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

woodsman87

As soon as you say that mature buck will not come into a foodplot during day light, some 12 year old kid will kill him at 4:30 eating in a green field.
Also, if you try to hunt funnels leading to food plots, you have a better chance at getting him before dark, but also, more of a chance of leaving tour scent and spooking him one way or another.

I believe that you need to be a skilled hunter and know your land, as well as having lots of luck. But the best is to have the time and places to hunt.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Vermin93

bowriter":357uqs7l said:
And consider this. If you watch much outdoor programming, have you noticed the proliferation of ground blinds over tree stands? Think about why that is.

Why is that? I don't use box blinds or ground blinds, so I have no idea what you are eluding to.

McCoy

ImThere":3nhzocz9 said:
So you cant pattern a big buck unless you pattern a big buck
Put out cameras, maybe, but dont check them
Scout or maybe not. but dont walk around in the woods for sure
Hunt the spot 3 times no more. unless you want to
Hunting private land increases your chances until it dont
Food plots help shooters not hunters
Hunters dont hunt food plots or ag fields
That about sums it up. Im pretty confused now
Sounds like none of us know what we are doing or we all do? Lol

I just read this whole thread and this pretty much sums it up! Hahahaha that's hilarious.

Latest posts