Youth Rifle

jason2779

I'm about to purchase a youth rifle for my son. He is only three, but I have received a relatively large Academy gift card so I figured what better way to put it to good use. I have already decided that I am going with the 7-08 caliber. What are some of your experiences with the Ruger American youth model rifles? I was looking at Savage youth models, but they don't seem to carry them in this caliber.
Look into the Remington model 7 my kids loved theirs and I also enjoyed shooting it!

Dully8861

I'm about to purchase a youth rifle for my son. He is only three, but I have received a relatively large Academy gift card so I figured what better way to put it to good use. I have already decided that I am going with the 7-08 caliber. What are some of your experiences with the Ruger American youth model rifles? I was looking at Savage youth models, but they don't seem to carry them in this caliber.
My son has the Encore 7mm08 and loves it. He shoots the Winchester 140 gr Silver Tips. Great round and holds a good pattern with little drop. Sorry but only Rogers I have are pistols

DC219

At 7 or 8 years old, after learning on a .22, I put my kids on an AR chambered for 6.8 Spc. It has hardly any recoil. When he turned 12, I gave my son a Browning Micro-Midas in .308. I handload, so I was able to load a 110 gr Barnes pretty light for low recoil. It's worked out great. If you don't handload you could buy managed recoil ammo. .308, 7/08, .243 and plenty more are all good rounds as long as you use light loads. Nothing will screw up their shooting long-term like putting them on too much gun too soon. Same goes for hand guns.