Your opinion on broadheads....please.

HopALong

I have shot both fixed blade and mechanical broadheads and like both. I must say that I lean a little more toward the mechanicals since they do (in my opinion) shoot like a field point. My question is based around an opinion of an outfitter I'm considering booking a hunt with. They are strongly against all mechanical broadheads. When I asked why, he said that "they just don't do as good of a job as a fixed blade. I've been doing this for 12 years and I've only lost 3 deer to hunters shooting a fixed broadhead. I can't tell you the number of deer that have gone unrecovered or found much later on due to a mechanical broadhead failing. They either break the blades, deflect off of bones causing bad shot angles, or hit bones and just stop 3 inches into the deer. There's a BIG difference between shooting a mature bucks body (250 lbs. live +) and a doe or smaller buck."

Personally, I've never killed a "mature" whitetail much less a heavy bodied northern whitetail. Is this guy accurate or his opinion or is he way off base? I've also noticed on other outfitter websites, several of them have the same rule. Either way, if I choose his outfit, I'm committing to a fixed blade (not a huge deal to me).

Thanks

POSSUM HUNTER

his outfit and his opinion his law right

if i were you i would check on muzzys, slick tricks and spin test tham your self thats where you are flying different imo radar can prolly help you more

like the ad says muzzy is bad to the bone, and i have used them with great success

as far as the mechanical vs. fixed debate it is on going and never ending. wait for the right shoot angle and make sure that you can be comfortable shooting and hitting where you want bad shots are enevitable and will happen butt practice and be prepaired and you should do fine

good luck

Radar

I like fixed blade (Slick Tricks) over mechanicals because I can get good arrow flight , plus have a stronger broadhead that penetrates better .
The Rage mechanicals are the best design out there and I used them last year , but I'll be using Slick Tricks this year .
The choice is up to you . I like to stay out of the mechanical vs. fixed arguments , because each bowhunter has their own preference . Your confidence in the broadhead and the ability to place them where it counts that is more important .
Keep em' sharp and put em' in the boiler room . :)

eddie c

I know a outfitter in south Texas that will almost mirror your outfitter's statement with 30 yrs of records to back it up. the difference between my outfitter's statements and yours is mine has said that good/bad shot placement and good/bad shot angles are key factors ,REGUARDLESS of what type of BH is used, in recovery rates.

Radar's statement " The choice is up to you . ------ each bowhunter has their own preference . Your confidence in the broadhead and the ability to place them where it counts that is more important .
Keep em' sharp and put em' in the boiler room." is very true.

f1maxis

JThuntsalot said:
I also shot both Slick trick and Rage last year. i am only going to shoot the Slick Tricks this year as I think they did just a little better job.

Just out of curiosity, what elements drew you to that conclusion? Flight characteristics, blood trails, entry/exit wounds, etc.

Big J

Tricks are great heads. I have supported them forever. I am slinging a couple rage 2 blades this year. Also Grim reaper makes an awesome head. If I was going to shoot fixed it would be between Tricks and Blackouts by redhead. I just love them little suckers!!

HopALong

I shot grim reaper broadheads and love them. There is a link on another thread that is very interesting. Go to youtube.com and watch grim reaper videos. They do things that are truely impressive. What about the big buck/ thicker , harder body stuff?? Anybody got any experience with this issue??

Toxophilite Phil

My opinion of broadheads is they are way overrated. Don't need them .Use a good field point. Just my opinion

NO THAT IS NOT MY OPINION !!!!!

My opinion is really just like most everyone on here. I will go on record as saying...I have never used a mechanical head. So I really can't give you as good assessment. I have helped track a few deer shot with a mechanical and have yet to find the first deer. Bottom line.

Use a good reptable broadhead. Thunderheads, Muzzys, Slick Tricks, Magnus, Zwickeys, Bears. there is a reason these heads are still around. THEY WORK. Keep them sharp, place them in the vitals and then take your time trailing to your next bow kill.

nabowhunter

I have thought about this for a day or two and this is my thinking. A lot of times new archery hunters will go directly to a mechanical head. And a lot of times they will take a shot that is not a great choice. They will loose a deer and then swear up and down that a mechanical head is a piece of junk and caused them to loose their deer. A broadhead of any kind will not do its job if it is not placed correctly.

When I first started bow hunting it was always thunderheads and muzzy's for me. And I still shoot thunderheads occasionally, but have switched to rocket sidewinders. They are awesome and leave one NASTY exit hole. Have yet to loose a deer with these broadheads.

Keep 'em sharp and take a high percentage shot! JMO

bobthebowhunter

save a little money don't get rage. get rocky mountain snypers two blade broadhead. That is almost the same design, and the blades stay closed (before the shot) better than the rage.

MTW

have used mechanicals when they first came out, dont like em, especially 2 blade models. have used a lot of 4 blade fixed, and dont like em either. so everytime i try something new, seems like i go right back to Thunderhead 125's.

they fly well if you know how to tune them, and penetration is bar none, IMHO.

Latest posts