Your first call?

Boll Weevil

Hillbillyfab's post made me think back to my 1st turkey call; a Roger Latham True Tone box with the leather strap. Mr. Wiley from church gave it to me, I killed a few birds with it, but lost it somewhere along Blackjack creek. Terrible sounding call...or maybe it was because of who was running it? Nahhh, terrible sounding call for sure.

If you can remember that far back, what was your first turkey call?

Rakkin6

Easy for me since I have really only been turkey hunting for 12 years. And I actually have 2 of them. It is the Primos Ol Glory with the Frictionite surface. It still goes out with me on every hunt. And still gets the birds talking. I bought a backup toy original a few years ago that I found in some little sports store in Kentucky. They stopped making them about 10 years ago. This isn't mine since I am not home right now. But I still love this call and I have some yingling, schaffer, Dawkins but this one still goes out.

Attachments

• 540107_1200x1200.jpg
    540107_1200x1200.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 29

Boll Weevil

First call was a homemade tube call, don't remember exactly what it was cause I made several. I still have the tube call I killed my first turkey with. Made it out of bamboo
You know Cat you just reminded me, my first call was homemade too. Until you posted I'd forgotten....a tube call made from a 35mm film canister with the bottom cut out, a 1/2 moon cutout of the cap, a section of balloon, and a rubber band. Boy, those were the days.

slabhead

Ha, my first turkey call when I was about 12 around 1979, was a homemade from a corncob and a piece of cedar. I read about how to make one in a hunting mag. Dad didn't turkey hunt and I don't even know if you could buy a call back then...didn't kill a turkey with it :D my second was a box call a friend made from popular and cedar. I did get a turkey with it!

spoon

You know Cat you just reminded me, my first call was homemade too. Until you posted I'd forgotten....a tube call made from a 35mm film canister with the bottom cut out, a 1/2 moon cutout of the cap, a section of balloon, and a rubber band. Boy, those were the days.
Did the same thing

Willysman

Hillbillyfab's post made me think back to my 1st turkey call; a Roger Latham True Tone box with the leather strap. Mr. Wiley from church gave it to me, I killed a few birds with it, but lost it somewhere along Blackjack creek. Terrible sounding call...or maybe it was because of who was running it? Nahhh, terrible sounding call for sure.

If you can remember that far back, what was your first turkey call?
Lynchs Fool Proof box call. Had to order it. No such thing as a turkey call in a sporting goods store at that time. (1977) Lot of turkeys met their demise with that old call.

Gobble4me757

Ben Rogers Lee diaphragm. My mother grew up with Ben Lee and was best friends with his daughter in coffeville, alabama back in the day. We saw ben Lee's son at a turkey expo when I was 7/8 yrs old and he gave me a ben Lee cassette tape and a diaphragm.