yote with shotgun?

catman529

is it worth trying to call in and shoot a yote with a 12 gauge? what kind of choke and what range of shot size?

Lawrence

Ive killed two while turkey hunting
but never tried to go out and call them in with just a shotgun
only a rifle! But that being said I wouldn't hesitate to use my turkey gun with my turkey set up

MWoodard

I have killed several with a shotgun.The main thing is make your stands in closer cover than normal.Full choke with some Dead Coyote or similar should be good.

catman529

Here are the regs for legal hunting equipment. I think this applies to the WMA as well, correct me if I'm wrong.

Small Game Hunting
-Shotguns and handguns using ammunition loaded with Number 4 or smaller shot are legal for all small game hunting.
-Shotguns using ammunition loaded with T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot are legal for hunting coyotes and beaver except during big game seasons.

peytoncreekhunter

Shot this yote with a 12 guage #4 2oz shot at about 25 yards while turkey hunting.

Coyote3.jpg

catman529

Good deal, maybe that will be my last resort if I'm having a bad day calling turkeys.

I was calling turkeys for fun at the edge of a corn field last spring, not hunting, but after catching a brief movement out of the corner of my eye, I stood up from the tall grass and saw a yote behind me, not 10 yards away from me, looking the other direction, which was cool. 5 minutes later I heard a movement again behind me, and I slowly craned and saw instead a young buck trying to make out what I was. he stayed there for a good 5-10 minutes while I took pictures. A little while later, a good ole flock of turkeys came by and after they ignored my novice calls and crossed the field, I waited till they were out of sight behind the trees and I high tailed it around and snuck through the timber and ended up right at the edge of the woods, 5 yards from the birds, with some thick bushes to cover me, and with a few cluck and purrs I had the hens convinced I was a turkey. It was a cool experience.

Winchester

At 35 yards last Turkey season, the one I shot with a load of 3.5" #6 Win Xtended range Turkey loads, Was dead when he hit the ground, never made another move or whimper!

catman529

then I will probably use those whenever I try and yote hunt... unless I can find some 4 or T shot shells that are cheaper than the turkey loads. Haven't looked much so I don't know what kind of loads are out there and what the price ranges are. I doubt my 2 3/4 winchester #6 field/bird loads would pack nearly as much punch but then those are just for target shooting.

Latest posts