York Shoot

Smo

Looks like a good job there Wobbly.

I can't wait to see the finished product and get a range report.

What kind of sights are you using? Caliber and Twist ?

I doubt I'll make the York shoot but I do need to start shooting more .

I hope to make the Friendship shoot again this June.

I just got too much going on being Retired .

Fishing , Turkey Season, Gardening and Cows, lawn mowing and life in general.

I can't understand how I spent 40+ years working and had time to get anything done..

I hope you shoot well . Aim small , miss small.

Wobblyshot1

Smo":2mau8r83 said:
I just got too much going on being Retired .

GEEEEZ!! I certainly know what you mean!

I did some tweaking today. Drilled and tapped for a nipple but had to heat and bend the hammer so it would hit. Also had to clean up the lock mortice and ended up having to bend the sear arm up a little so the set triggers and lock could function. Cut dovetails for the front and rear sights and installed a fixed rear with a U notch and a Lyman 17A front with a pinhead insert. Almost forgot, I tapered and fitted a ram rod too. I'm going to have to shoot it unfinished and I hope to shoot it to at least get it on paper. If I place, it's gonna be like a number 16 seed beating a number 1 seed...LOL.

The barrel is a Rice 1 1/8" .45 by 44" long.
The lock is a Siler mountain percussion.
Trigger is from Rice.
Style is somewhat like a Soddy Daisey.
I have'nt weighed it but I'm thinkinging it's around 14 pounds

Smo

Congrats it sounds like you'll be ready to shoot,

The rifle sounds sweet , I can't wait too see how she shoots.

Keep us posted and Good Luck !
You know what they say about an underdog.
It has happened.

Wobblyshot1

TennesseeJed":320h7nfy said:
I'm going up Friday afternoon.

The forecast isn't looking too good.

Yes, you are right. Friday and Sunday look good. Hope the rain predicted Saturday starts late in the day. Also saw the forecast of up to 20 mph winds.
We'll be up to Maple Hill CG Thursday afternoon. Friday is always a good day to hang out and socialize.

Wobblyshot1

Stykbow":16wtooms said:
How'd you do, wobblyshot? Another good lookin' rifle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind remark on the rifle. I was present but like almost half of the other registered shooters I chickened out from shooting. The weather was somewhat on the miserable side with very cool temps and on and off rain. I talked to one shooter who had been there 21 years and he said that it was the worst weather that he remembered. My rifle was unfinished and unshot but had there been a little sunshine I would have played around with it. The winner, by the way, had a 4.9" string in 10 shots which is basically averaging less than 1/2" off center for each shot. I was impressed. In spite of all this we had a great time and will definately be back next year and better prepared.

TennesseeJed

I would up not shooting due to the rain and hanging out at a friend's camp sitting by the fire. It started raining heavy right at the end of the 1st relay and several of the group I shoot with decided not to try it. It quit not long after they started the 2nd relay and I kinda wish I had shot. I still had a great time though just shooting the bull and getting caught up with all the friends I've made there over the years.

TennesseeJed

Charlie Bowers out of NC was the winner. I think this was the 3rd time he won. I saw his target stand and knew he had shot well by the size of the hole in it. A friend from WV won match #4 and finished in the top 20.

Latest posts