Wyoming antelope

Craneo52

Anybody got any connections out there have a few prefrence points an looking to draw tag this year. Would like something with a high success rate since itl be 1st time out there hunting. And Whats better route to go a public diy hunt or a semi guided on private

shirtshirt

Fun hunt and beautiful country. I guess it depends on what you're looking for as well as unit/property, but private would likely be a less frustrating experience. You should be able to close the deal either way.

AT Hiker

The state website publishes the success rates but don't be fooled. Most units are 80% or better kill success, that includes public and private ground.

Pull up the draw odds on the state website and find your point balance and go from there.

Craneo52

Il have 3 points. If I'm correct iv read there is more public in the southern part then the north and the better units are in the central an east part of the state

Rancocas

My data is dated, but I made two antelope hunts in Wyoming back in the 1990's. I don't recall any "points" being necessary in those days. We just applied, listing our preferences for area and got our 2nd choice. We hunted west of Casper, near the Powder River.
Our first hunt was terrific. We did it ourselves Just my hunting partner and myself. I had a good map of the BLM lands. We drove out there, and set up a tent camp on the wide open prairie. We could sit in camp and glass small pods of pronghorn at a distance all around us. We had a ball stalking and trying to sneak up as close as possible to them. I was successful in taking one at 192 paces. My partner, however, was unable to score.
Our second hunt out there was miserable. We were in a slightly different area this time. My map showed a huge area of BLM land that we planned to hunt. However, upon our arrival in the area we found that public land was completely surrounded with private ranches. The one and only road to get to it ran through private property and the owner had put up a big billboard-like sign saying "No Trespassing". The sign also listed his phone number to call for permission to enter.
I called. The guy wanted $100. for us to drive across approximately 1 mile of his land on a good gravel road that was used and maintained by a gas and oil company. I expressed my surprise and amazement, and the guy hung up on me.
We found another section of BLM land with easy access, but we never saw a pronghorn there.
Then, to top off the trip, it started to rain. It rained for 3 days and nights. We were well off road, camping again, and the prairie had turned into gumbo. I think we were lucky to make it out of the muck.

AT Hiker

My data is dated, but I made two antelope hunts in Wyoming back in the 1990's. I don't recall any "points" being necessary in those days. We just applied, listing our preferences for area and got our 2nd choice.
preference points started around 2006…hunting has gotten drastically different in Wyoming since.
I used to get a second choice tag, while still building points, now that 2nd choice tag requires 3 points to get.
The good Ol days for NRs are gone, things are still ok, but not like it used to be.

shirtshirt

Here's 2021 results for non-resident preference points link: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/2021_NR-Antelope-Regular-Preference-Point-Demand-Report.pdf

Took me a while to understand the draw results (because I was new to hunting, regulations, and jargon) so I drew this chart up real quick to help a person decode what means what. I didn't explain in detail...just took unit 6 results and broke them down in a way that would have been helpful to me. If this creates more confusion than it's worth let me know and I'll delete it.

Attachments

• Wyoming Draw.png
    Wyoming Draw.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 65

backyardtndeer

Didn't need any points to draw the area we went to in 2010. May be different now. We were on private out of Wright. My oldest daughter and I did a deer antelope combo, paid a ranch owner trespass fee. Saw tons of antelope, deer were scarce.

ROVERBOY

My cousin and a friend are gonna go to Wyoming this Fall. They have their points in already. I thought about trying it but, 3 years to get 3 points. No thanks.

Chickencoop96

I've never understood the point system, especially if you can get OTC tags. what does the point system do? give you access to public lands that folks without those tags cant hunt? just curious. at some point i would like to make a trip out to wyoming for mule deer

AT Hiker

I've never understood the point system, especially if you can get OTC tags. what does the point system do? give you access to public lands that folks without those tags cant hunt? just curious. at some point i would like to make a trip out to wyoming for mule deer
There are no OTC antelope tags in WY.
Preference points only give you preference over someone with less points putting in for the same tag as you.
In a general sense, higher point units in WY generally have more accessible public land and some have higher trophy potential.
Same can be said for mule deer, from a non resident perspective.
Left over tags exist but that is not the same as OTC.

Latest posts