WY Antelope and new to Spotting Scopes?

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Looks like I will most likely draw my Wyoming Antelope tag this year. I have heard Good Binos and Spotting Scopes are a must. Just wondering what qualifies as good? Vortex Diamondback 20x60 looks like a good bang for your buck spotting scope but just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations for spotting scopes. Also if anyone reads this and has any recommendations or info on Wyoming Antelope it would be greatly appreciated.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
What's your total budget for an optics "package"?

I suggest investing in the best binoculars you can afford and skipping the spotting scope - coming from someone who hunts Wyoming pronghorn.

bloodtrailing

10x binoculars are good for WY. If you decide in a spotter, I recommend one that you can pack around easily. I used binoculars 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtaylor

I also used my 10x binos exclusively. I was on public land and just looking to fill a tag. I might use a spotting scope if I was on private property and trophy hunting. I never felt like I needed my spotting scope on my hunt.

bigtex

Been on two Wyoming Antelope hunts and never got my spotting scope out of the truck. I guess they would be handy but I just relied on 10X binocs.

gtk

Staff member
I have the vortex talon 10x42. For just a little more you can get the vipers which are a little lighter. I can glass all day in the mountains and my eyes don't get tired. I wish i had spent the money on them years ago.

I've looked thru a lot of spotting scopes, and the old saying is true, "You get what you pay for". I"m cheap, and bought/borrowed some cheaper spotting scopes to take hunting and it just wasn't worth it. I finally stumbled across a used nikon xl spotter. It is very clear, and small enough to fit in my backpack. i use it some, but still use my binoculars 95% of the time. I use my spotting scope a lot if i'm riding around looking for elk or mule deer. I can mount it to my truck window.

Huntaholic

Coming from someone who has antelope hunted WY for over 20 years, skip the spotting scope, invest in good glasses and a good scope for your rifle. Once you've picked out a potential goat with the glasses, then switch to your rifle scope to make the final call. I use 10x50 glasses and a an 8.5x25 scope.