Write a book?

we'll talk more guys, but first...
I'm headed out for phase three of my deer season, Illinois public for a couple doe tags (I hope) and to video somebody in the group kill a buck.
Public of course.
Then headed South to Bama for a private (Yes I do on occasion get an invitation, and this one is a dandy) deer/hog bow hunt

megalomaniac

The unfortunate reality in this time is that most people will take advice from a
YouTuber that hasn't hunted very long or even accomplished very much before they will listen to a much more accomplished Hunter that isn't a YouTuber, IMO. You see that commonly, people just idolize YouTubers.

Don't take that as me saying not to write the book or write down your thoughts in some format. I think anyone with those kind of aspirations should absolutely do it. Just don't expect the under 30 or 40 crowd to flock to it, the majority of that crowd wants their YouTubers.

What I see most out of those that idolize the YouTubers is that they don't actually hunt very seriously, preferring to vicariously live through their idols, and just talk about how they would like to hunt without actually doing it. Lots of people that I grew up with are that way. They idolize THP, buy all the gear, talk big about their adventures they want to go on, then hunt like a few days a season and whine about how they didn't do any good 😂 This is just my opinion.
I've noticed the same thing. I think it has something to do with the ADD/ Ritalin generation. Hate to say it, but I see a little bit of it in my own son.

1jamey

Do both, YouTube and a book. Why not? Break it up into series by areas of states. I know hunting in East TN public is much different than West TN. Never hunted South of TN but would assume the deer act different as well. Just a thought

PalsPal

It sounds like that you are wanting younger, newer hunters to be your primary audience.

They'll never read a book.

IF you want to reach them early in their hunting career, then it will have to be YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and whatever else they are on.

RobertsJc

What page number are you on so far is my question? My opinion is that we need a book like this if you do decide to write one, not only for beginners, but for every age and experience level. I have hunted since i was 5 with some really great hunters, one has passed and one doesn't get to hunt anymore but i learned a lot from those 3 men, but there are many times that i set back and over think things in the woods or on maps or talking with friends just teying to figure out what i should do or how i should set up, instead of just looking at the basics. The book will be a good tool even for someone that has experience just to draw them back to the basics of hunting and tracking and like others have said, tree species, native grasses in our are spring, summer, fall ranges and food sources, rubs, scrapes ,licking branches, doe trail to buck trail, why do deer use saddles, finger ridges, browse, bedding, water, i can keep going, WE all need that book, so thank you if you write it

DaveTN

I don't think being a YouTuber is a requirement, its just a source of information to anyone with a phone or PC. Like anything, you retain what makes sense and discard the rest.

Here is one guys opinion on the 10 best books on Deer Hunting. I'm sure there are many other opinions on many other books. But you could probably get information on how well a good book would do based on these.

Even though the story is called Best Deer Hunting Books in 2021, it appears they are all over 5 years old. Not that 5 years old doesn't mean they aren't still good information. How many here have bought any of these books?

smyrnagc

My wife has self published several books and I asked her about this. She said you can self publish through Ingram Books but she recommended that you do it through Amazon. That way it can be posted for sale through them and can even be made digital to be read through Kindle. Let me know if you have any questions about how this works and I will ask her.

jaybird62

Love the animal. Love the sport. Have a special place in my heart for fellow Tennessee deer hunters. Have published and sold a few books... probably close to 2 million copies combined in the firearms and outdoors world over the past 33 years. Glad to lend some advice.

Here's a tidbit:

It seems these days there is a trend towards trying to put hunting whitetails "in a box".
In other words, many on social media platforms seem to be talking in general about how deer will do this or that, or behave this way or that way.

Here's a thought: whitetails are where you find them. Sounds simple but it is a VERY fluid concept. Always changing.

A greek Philosopher once said the only constant is change. I believe it was Aldo Leopold who applied that saying to Nature.

I tell you that deer are EXTREMELY adaptable and are constantly changing, adapting to their environment.
Food, cover, temperature changes, sex, human or predatory pressure, to name a few.

Consistently successful hunters understand the needs of the herd they are hunting. And these same hunters know when, where and why the deer on the property move or act the way they do.

And the BEST hunters are able to do this in MANY areas across a very LARGE and diverse geographic range with very little scouting.

Deer are different. Individual deer can be extremely different. Mature individual deer ARE extremely different animals than the general run of the mill deer. And ALL deer groups act different in different areas.

Too many hunters focus their efforts on hunting deer when they ought to be hunting what the local DEER are hunting!

Snake

As you type this post I feel you are not asking responses and catalog them to make your decision , I feel you already have made your decision. With that said follow your heart , so many times in life we don't. I won't guarantee you I'll buy it because I'm not a reader and my hunting career is dwindling down , not that I can't still learn though . Write it but just an FYI , there are ton of experienced bowhunters on this site that might could add some tips so you could maybe add to your book . It would be beneficial to this young crowd of bow hunters . Most don't have a clue on how to track a wounded deer without a blood trail . Some are so exited to shoot an animal they pay little attention to watch the deer after the shot , they are busy texting their friends . Most don't have a clue on how to slowly follow your deer at times all you have is a track to follow . Found a buck for friend after they had looked all morning , he even thought he had missed it . Buck was 25 yards from his tree !! Man your gun has to be way off or you was real nervous to miss that buck . Asked him to get at the tree and show me where buck was . Got on my hands and knees knowing it was muzzleloader so he may not have much and exit hole . Found brown hairs , told him you didn't miss and you did hit his body . Got on the deer's track , everyone there started going out in front of me so I had to stop them ! Guys I'm on a track don't mess the up the woods with your tracks . Finally found blood after about 100 yards , good blood lung blood . Turned looked at my friend and told him we'll find your buck. About another hundred more yards we did and he said we have been all over these woods already . They had gave up totally to a missed shot . My eyes had gotten worse now but usually I could find a deer if it was mortally wounded but you have to give it your time and effort.

Bushape

Do both, YouTube and a book. Why not? Break it up into series by areas of states. I know hunting in East TN public is much different than West TN. Never hunted South of TN but would assume the deer act different as well. Just a thought
This would be my advice as well. If you glossed over each chapter with a breakdown vid I would think that would amp up sales.

Safari Hunt

Sorry but the shelves are full of those books. Got two on my shelf plus several videos. To do it by region would fill a library but one can find books there, too.

Again…deer hunters are a curious bunch! Apparently there are no "experts"!
I very much agree with Safari Hunter! I believe that trying to get through to today's generation of hunters is like trying to convince the Pharisees that Jesus was the Mesiah! ( The Pharisees knew that Jesus couldn't have been the Mesiah because the Mesiah would have been from the city of David) And everyone knew he was "from Nazareth".

I have told countless hunters to stay off gut shot deer. STAY AWAY! DOn't push them. Leave them alone and let them die from septic shot. Let the Broadhead do its job!

Might take a half day, might take 24 hours.

And STILL they jump the deer. Even after they are told gut shot deer don't leave much of a blood trail if any! AND gut shot deer will go a LONG way. Especially big, strong, rutting bucks!

I guarantee y'all someone is reading this right now and thinking, "he's crazy, I found my deer after only waiting ...
Or-I had a good blood trail on my gut shot deer...
Or-some other exception...

And my favorite..."I had to go after it because it was going to be so warm".
In reality, warm weather most often results in a gut shot deer living longer than stressful COLD weather.
So COLD causes quicker death but also preserves meat longer.
And warmer weather generally causes less stress and LIVING meat doesn't spoil.

I'm not talking about 5 or 10 deer that were gut shot... I've been involved with the recovery of HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of deer. Mine AND my group of friends. I have helped MANY strangers who have face timed me as well.

And MANY were abdominal hits.

Liver/lung
liver/stomach
stomach/intestine (no pyloric)
INTESTINE...(the worst)

And about every other combination imaginabl

But...it is REALLY hard to get strangers to listen. Almost impossible.

Latest posts