Would you hunt with a muzzle brake installed?

Carlos

I AGREE, MUZZLE BRAKES ARE MUCH TOO LOUD, AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION

Safari Hunt

Why? Never had one and don't intend to use one. If the muzzle blast is too loud for someone, use hearing protection. I have heard of a few hunters that use them and rely on their vision to spot game.

Grill-n-man

Not only are they loud but will clear a shooting table of anything on it that ain't nailed down. Also I would recommend if you are shooting from under cover/roof I would rather have double hearing protection and if you spectating DO NOT stand to the side get behind the shooter. The work great with recoil but dear lord the draw backs. Also if replace break with a thread protector put a dab of locktite on it. That little thing loose will affect accuracy

Omega

The brakes I own came with the rifle, and are also can hosts so I just leave them as is. I have only purchased compensators, so the noise is projected forward, not off to the sides. If I choose one of those rifles on a hunt, I use it as is, I always have hearing pro, and deer don't care, so noise is not a factor.

Have a smokeless ML with a MB, i started wearing an impulse activated earplug in my leading ear after being surprised by the volume of noise during early ML ,works fine. Learned the hard way this year with new ML, ringing ears for 2 weeks.[5 shots over a week]
Don't let it fool you
shots1,2 loud
Shots 3,4 ouch
Shot 5 painful [had earplugs in pocket walking in, got surprised by deer and just forgot].
Cumulative effect.

Blackbullet

I do. I wear hearing protection. All my barrels with brakes have 26" bbls. That keeps some of the blast away from you. I won't run a brake on a 22" or shorter. I've shot deer with a 300wm braked & hearing protection. Not bad at all.

DaveB

I had the BOSS on my 300 WinMag Browning A-Bolt purchased in 1986. Yep, runs people off the range...gets lots of hard looks and some unkind comments.

The noise is actually worse than any comments listed here.

The noise is so loud that THIS YEAR I asked Browning for the no MB BOSS and they sent it instantly and get this---No Charge.

BTW, if you are prone in the field and squeeze off a round before you can track your animal you may need to put out a fire. The muzzle blast on my 300 spits fire in all directions quite a way.

Latest posts