wood semiauto shotguns under $1k

TNReb

I've been putting it off for a while, but I think I'm finally going to buy a new semiauto 12g. The gun will just be for dove & turkey. I don't duck hunt. 3" is sufficient... no real need for 3.5"

For whatever reason, I've just never cared much for synthetic guns. I don't own any. I appreciate the utility of them, but if I'm going to spend close to $1k on a gun, I have to like it... and my mind keeps wanting wood. I'll find ways to cover it up during turkey season if I need to (Mossy Oak seems to make some decent camo wraps that don't leave a residue/damage when removed).

I like the way the Franchi Affinity feels... and thought I might wind up getting one... but the only options are synthetic black or camo.

Anyone have any recommendations for a wood semiauto 12g under $1000? I prefer new, but I'm not opposed to used guns - I'm just picky about the condition. I keep my eye on Armslist, but haven't see anything that floats my boat.

EDIT: After DaveB's comment - I forgot to mention that the Remington 1100 is out - I already have one. :) Mine is an older model with 28" barrel and I'm just looking for something newer with a 26" barrel (yeah.. I know I could get a new barrel for the 1100 - I don't want to).

DaveB

Remington 1100.

Might want to check out Boyds or Stockys for an aftermarket stock in wood if you find the shotgun you want that happens to be in plastic.

mike243

drrxnupe said:
Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe
x2 nice wood & 0 problems out of my 20g. coarse I bought synthetic cause I am rough on a gun & will hunt in any weather ,starting my 3rd season & not sure how many rounds I have fired but would buy a 12g if I wanted a semi auto

bielaski

I'm going to go waaay out on a limb here and suggest going to Academy and looking at a Yildiz A71.

I picked mine up used at the local pawn shop for $330. Academy has them listed for $399. The walnut wood is nice and the gun shoots just fine. The carrier latch button is tight until you either get used to it or shoot the gun to break it in.

TNReb

drrxnupe said:
Be sure to let us know what you get.

Wound up getting a black synthetic A5. Going to send it off to have the Dura-Touch stripped off and have it dipped in camo.

I just loved the A5 the more I held it, but the wood/blue actually had a sort of plastic look/feel. I decided to go synthetic and hope for a nicer wood/blued gun some other time.

TNReb

infoman jr. said:
Lol. So you not only paid more than $1000, you got a synthetic version? Why not get camo to begin with?

Yep. :crazy:

The more I looked, the less I could find anything (new) that I liked in wood/blue under $1000.

I'm not really crazy about the feel of the Dura-Touch stocks - so the plan is to get it stripped and re-camo'd. They'll bead blast the Dura-Touch off.

DaveB

Beats me....the link takes you right to the page where Boyds has the butt and all the measurements. Here is what they say:::

"It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. The forearm is on another page.

Top Tang Width: 5/8"
Top Tang Length: 3 5/8"
Bottom Tang Width: 5/8"
Bottom Tang Length: 3 1/4"
Stock Height at Receiver: 1 5/8"
Stock Width at Receiver: 1 7/16"
Overall Length of Stock: 13"
Measurement of Receiver Mounting Bolt: N/A"
"
I have a Browning Medallion with nice wood. I substituted a laminated one because I can ding that one and never blink an eye. Same for my A-Bolt 06 with black plastic. I do not care for plastic stocks. Got a laminated one. Killed that deer more dead faster, I know.

REN

the benefit to getting it dipped is you get a MUCH better camo added to the gun that will last much longer. Factory dip jobs usually are not very good and will show signs of wear pretty quickly if used a lot.

I like the dura touch however it is VERY VERY hit or miss on the quality you get and is known to peel or come off easy on some guns.

TNReb

REN said:
I like the dura touch however it is VERY VERY hit or miss on the quality you get and is known to peel or come off easy on some guns.

I read online where one guy claims that Browning told him it could differ from person-to-person due to the chemicals in your skin. He said Browning told him the Dura-Touch involved latex, and the different pH of the various chemicals in peoples skins could adversely affect the durability and longevity of the Dura-Touch.

He could have been full of crap too....

REN

i know the a lot of guys had it come off using bug spray and it getting on the gun as well as cleaning the gun with certain solvents. Either way that is way to iffy for me on a gun that expensive. I mean if it can't stand up to bug spray i don't want to deal with it.

Latest posts