Wiring Nav Lights to a 3 prong rocker switch

Pic IN the Casa

Pardon my electrical ignorance but I am rewiring nav lights on a jon boat rebuild and need advice.

I have a leftover 3 prong rocker switch (the kind that lights up). Can I use this switch to turn on/off bow and stern lights? I'm sure I can somehow... without buying a 4+ prong switch.

Any help please?

ImThere

As far as I know you only need two prongs. One will be your incoming power, one for the wire going to the light. I'm guessing the other prong is for the ground wire so the switch will light up?

Do you have a electrical meter? Put it on ohms push the button on find the two leads the have 0 ohms resistance that's your switch leg. At the light hook up this wire from the switch and a ground wire from the battery.
If not
Maybe on the back of the switch it has markings?+ where you hook up 12v+ - for 12v- and another one which will probably go to the lights.

See you in a tree, Ricky
Tree Saddle Hunters_R_US on Tapatalk

Bucket

My nav lights have a 3 position, 3 prong rocker switch. On the prongs, one is incoming hot, one is outgoing power to both the red/green front lights and the white light, and one is to power the white (anchor) light only. When moving all lights are on and when anchored only the white anchor light needs to be on. The center position of the switch is "off". This setup will require a diode (like a one-way valve) like the image below shows.

Attachments

• boat light wiring.jpg
    boat light wiring.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 339