At a loss

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Motor is a 40hp Mariner 4 cylinder 2 stroke. It's hard(slow) starting, cantankerous, and doesn't like to start again after turning the key off. Engine is really hard to get going again after trimming it up for shallow spots or stumps. I probably need to put it in a shop to have it looked over good, and I'm trying to decide if I want to take it to Golden Circle in Jackson, or Beech Lake Marine in Lexington. Not opposed to taking it elsewhere, those are just the closest 2 I know of. Not sure what the issue could be, and I am not much of a mechanic. Any recommendations or ideas?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Carb might need rebuilding/ cleaning. Especially if you ran any ethanol gas in it.
Since I have owned it, it has only had non-ethanol run in it. But that is only the last 4 years or so. And it probably does not get used enough(we probably only go through 6-8 gallons in a year), so it is a possibility that thy need cleaned/rebuilt.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
For you guys around Jackson/Lexington, Which shop would you use, Golden Circle, Beech Lake Marine, Dotties, or someplace else I haven't thought of?

megalomaniac

sounds like a fuel issue if you aren't getting a high temp alarm shutting the engine down.

Carbs are prob #1, but don't forget the possibility of debris/ kinking of fuel line, water in the fuel.

Step 1... hook up to a portable tank of fresh fuel with a new fuel line and bulb to the motor and test in a bucket of water or muffs. If that solves your problem, you know where to look. If that doesn't solve your problem, I'd rebuild the carbs.

Spurhunter

I pulled my boat almost 2 hours to take it to Beech Lake Marine based on recommendations. I was well pleased. I think they treated me honestly and fairly. The mechanic actually called me and talked for 10 or 15 minutes explaining what needed to be done, what had to be done, and what he would do if it was his.

Latest posts