Winchester SX4 suggestions

TNlandowner

Bought my son a Winchester SX4, 20 gauge, with 26" barrel. I plan for him to shoot 3" Winchester Long Beard XR, #5 shells. Looking for suggestions on Invector + choke tubes. I've been reading a lot about Carlson's Long Beard chokes, but would like to read a few suggestions before buying.

Remington700

I have always used Trulock with good success. They are also reasonably priced. Last summer I purchased one for my daughters Franchi and it was flawless this turkey season. We made the switch to TSS though.

Andy S.

Haven't read about TruLock Chokes, will look into them. I hope to avoid the TSS shells due to price. ;o)
When you consider license, hunting clothes, guns, vest, calls, decoys, lease fees, gasoline, and the numerous other "costs" of killing a turkey, the three or four $8 TSS shells annually are a drop in the bucket. TSS really shines in sub-gauges such as 20, 28 and .410. My recommendation is to embrace TSS now and get that piece behind you. TSS #9s and never look back.

TNlandowner

When you consider license, hunting clothes, guns, vest, calls, decoys, lease fees, gasoline, and the numerous other "costs" of killing a turkey, the three or four $8 TSS shells annually are a drop in the bucket. TSS really shines in sub-gauges such as 20, 28 and .410. My recommendation is to embrace TSS now and get that piece behind you. TSS #9s and never look back.
Good point. I've read the TSS #9's pattern well with the Winchester factory "Full" choke that came with the shotgun.

Andy S.

Good point. I've read the TSS #9's pattern well with the Winchester factory "Full" choke that came with the shotgun.
If shot distance will never exceed 40 yards, the factory full will likely perform well enough with TSS #9s, and provide some contingency for close up shots that are often missed with overly tight turkey chokes.

Stingray

I have the same shotgun , I bought a Rob Roberts turkey choke , .570,, does awesome with #9 TSS
also shot it at 30yds with factory full with good results

hillbillyfab

Have you shot it yet? I always like to put one on paper, to find my baseline so to speak. You might be pleased with the factory choke. Then again you might not be.

Rakkin6

#9 TSS and Indian Creek .562 choke tube. You can thank me later lol. That is a deadly setup don't think you will be disappointed. What I found with the Winchester and Mossberg shotguns is they need a thorough deep cleaning of the barrel for better patterns also.

Remington700

Haven't read about TruLock Chokes, will look into them. I hope to avoid the TSS shells due to price. ;o)
I was hesitant on the move to TSS because of price also. Made the jump and do not thin I will ever go back. We went with 5.85 extra full choke. Works perfect at 40 yards. I did not want it too tight up close for my kid. We will never attempt a 60 yard shot anyways.

rukiddin

I have a sx3. I don't turkey hunt but load a lot of it and pattern a lot of it. In my sx3, shooting a hand loaded 2-3/4" 1-5/8oz tss 9, a Indian Creek .555 will put 330+ in a 10" circle at 40 yds.

with that said, I 100% believe that shotguns are more finicky than rifles when it comes to load/choke combos. Whereas every rifle will shoot/group shots differently, shotguns are no different when it comes to the individual gun, choke and load your shooting. Most simply do not care since it's a shotgun and unlike rifles, "close" can be good enough.

Latest posts