Slugs out of Full choke

Chickencoop96

I have purchased a H&R 12 gauge Topper Model 88 with a fixed full choke, and i was wondering if i can safely shoot rifled slugs through it. Have any of yall had experience with this?

Attachments

• 0621232253a_HDR.jpg
    0621232253a_HDR.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 43

Lone Hunter

I have shot them out of fixed full chokes with no problem. Can't remember the accuracy but don't remember it being that bad. I think they recommend improved cylinder and my Dad's Browning was imp.cyl. as it shot the Foster style very well. Have shot the sabot slugs since late 80's early 90's and have been satisfied with them. They keep going up in price and keep getting harder to find and I'm going back to the Foster style slugs. Try different brands out of you Gun and see which one it likes best.

vonb

My father-in-law used a Winchester Model 97 with a full-choke and slugs for years. People told him it wasn't a good idea. He was shooting in the field one day and the end of the barrel blew off from metal fatigue. Maybe it's due to being an older shotgun. Either way, I'd feel more comfortable with a more open choke.

rifle02

I shot many through modified choke 12 gauge with no ill effect. However I did see a 20 gauge over and under with a split barrel. A Turkish import of the very bottom price. It had a full choke screw in choke tube and the barrel was paper thin to start.

iowavf

Heard of a few here messing up the barrel. Iowa was a shotgun only for years and alway told it wasn't a good idea to shoot slugs through a full choke. Might work fine, but I think I'd have to pass.

Chickencoop96

Well now after some more research (googling) i dont wonder if a 12 to 16 gauge barrel adapter can be used to fire rifled slugs through a full choke 12 gauge to avoid major restriction. My only concern then would be tumbling i guess. Im on a mission if yall cant tell 🤣.

Dennis

I know a guy who shot a lot of rifled slugs through a full choked 12 gauge with no issues. His gun was an Ithaca 37 I believe. But that doesn't mean other shotguns would be ok. I think it is very dependent on the particular shotgun. If I talked with the shotgun manufacturer first, I would feel better about it.

I know guys who shoot 2.75" slugs in 3.5" chambered shotguns too. But I don't like the idea of a slug jumping that far before engaging the rifling. Seems like it could be dangerous to me. When I shot slugs, I always felt better matching the shell size to the chamber size. But I could be overthinking it, who knows.

Latest posts