SBE 2 - losing choke tubes

Grnwing

I have an sbe 2 and a few days ago on a hunt, that my choke tube(flush factory tube)was slightly above the muzzle. After the hunt, I noticed I had lost the choke tube. No worries, order a new tube and put in another choke. Well on this mornings hunt, I noticed again my choke was missing again. I haven't fired more then 20 shots since I lost the first tube and was confident I had the second choke securely screwed in. Anyone have a clue on what is happening or what I did? I'm thinking I shot out the first choke and possibly stripped some of the threads in the barrel and shot out the second one as well.

Thanks for any advice

DaveTN

It could be a lot of things..all of them dangerous.

Out of round or wrong sized choke.

Out of round or bulged barrel.

Stripped thread on either.

I don't think 20 rounds could unscrew a loose choke, but I guess anything is possible if debris build up.

You should be able to inspect the threads visually for damage. If you have a pair of calipers you can check size and out of round.

Obviously, if you don't feel comfortable checking it yourself you should either have a gunsmith check it out or contact the manufacturer and see what they want to do.

Last edited:

W4CCR

I had a friend purchase a used SBE2 that did the same thing. He sent back to Benelli and they cut the barrel back about an inch and a half and re-threaded the barrel. The barrel had expanded possibly due to using too tight a choke with steel shot, or that was their theory.

Grnwing

Thank you both for the feedback! I reached out to benelli and they said to send it in and they could re thread the barrel for $150 and 8 week turn time. Going to see a good gun smith today and see what his turn time would be today. Pretty confident I had a lose choke and had build up behind it that stripped the threads and shot out the choke.

Latest posts