Any Winchester 1897 shooters/collectors here?

Huntaholic

Ive got one as well. Interesting story: Ive had it since I was about 14 years old. My grandfather, who loved to drink and loved to gamble even more, had it. I went to see him one day and he was sitting in the back yard polishing off who knows how many country clubs when I got there. It was laying in the yard about half way between him and the trash can. I saw it, picked it up, and asked him about it. He said he won it in a poker game the night before and had 60 bucks in it. Me, being a gun nut from the time I could walk, asked him if he wanted his money back for it LOL. He took me up on the offer and Ive had it ever since.

GUNNERX2

Was in a gun shop some time back down in Winchester and this elderly drunk came in to sell a new in box 97. He had to sell it as he had taken a cab out to the shop and didn't have the money to pay the cabbie unless he sold the gun. Old drunk wanted $125 but the shop owner didn't want it. Ended up the shop owner's son bought it for $75.
I had temporary custody of my ex-wife's grandfather's 97 made in 1908. It was given to me to pass down to my son when the time was right. It was in rough shape, rust and a stock without much finish on it. I had it cleaned up, re-blued and the stock refinished. Passed it along to my son years ago.

348Winchester

I have an original 1897 riot gun with a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel. It is stamped U.S. property and has the ordinance bomb stamp as well. It is in 95%+ condition. My elderly cousin sold it to me about 23 years ago. He had bought it in the early sixties and it just sat in his closet. He never fired it! Fortunately, he kept it wiped down with oil.

Gav-n-Tn

I have one in a 16g takedown. It has the old original brownish patina on the bluing. I haven't held it yet where it didn't put a smile on my face.

Huntaholic

I have one in a 16g takedown. It has the old original brownish patina on the bluing. I haven't held it yet where it didn't put a smile on my face.
Mine is a takedown model as well. For YEARS, until the internet came along, it was loose and floppy in the joint. I did some research and lo and behold, they are adjustable! I didnt even know how to take it down, let alone adjust it, but with www help its now tight as a new one!

Gav-n-Tn

Mine is a takedown model as well. For YEARS, until the internet came along, it was loose and floppy in the joint. I did some research and lo and behold, they are adjustable! I didnt even know how to take it down, let alone adjust it, but with www help its now tight as a new one!
I've never taken mine down. I ought to give it a try just so I know the ropes. I've never fired the old girl. Just never felt the need to. I figure she's paid her dues. Not to say I wouldn't but haven't. I'd be curious as to how many were made in 16g. I've never researched it.

Latest posts