Winchester slug rounds misfiring.

Pic IN the Casa

I've got a Remington 1187 slug gun. Historically, I have shot Winchester Super X slugs out of it but was told the Winchester BRI Sabot slugs are cleaner shooting so I switched over.

Last year, about one out of every 25-50 rounds would misfire. I'd set them aside and shoot a few more then cycle the misfire back through to see what happens. Sometimes they'd fire sometimes not.

Fast forward to today. After finally finding more BRI's I shot three boxes (of 5) and each box had at least one misfire. Pulled out the old reliable Super X's and never had an issue.

Anyone know what could be going on besides the fact that my gun doesn't like the BRI's? Or, is it the shells, themselves? Gonna call Winchester tomorrow and hopefully will get to talk to a human.

Rakkin6

Could be the primer is pushed in to far on some of the rounds. I had the same issue with the Remington Accutips and I would get light strikes on them.

DaveTN

Do you see any difference in the indentation or the depth the primer is seated on the Super X vs. BRI?

If its not the gun it must either be hard primers or low primer seating. But you should be able to see that.

What did Winchester tell you?

Safari Hunt

Have you cleaned the bolt so the firing pin will fully extend? Did some gun repair- high end rifle wouldn't fire. Cleaned inside the bolt and guess what?