Will the 2020 CFB National Championship need an Asterisk?

BamaProud

There are probably only about 5 or 6 teams that realistically still have a shot at being in the final 4. In no particular order, they are Alabama, Notre Dame, TN (I mean TX my spelling can be terrible at times) TX A&M, Clemson, Ohio State and maybe Cincinnati if there is absolute chaos in multiple games involving AL, ND, TX A&M, Clemson and OH St. I think that represents 4 different conferences that played vastly different schedules including number of games.

Is 2020 going to crown a legit NC or need a big * ? Why and why not for each of the teams listed above?

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

I've totally said from the beginning of the season that without a full schedule that the Natty needed a a asterisk

Mescalero

I don't think an asterisk is required. Every team and conference had to deal with Covid. If Alabama wins it all, they'll have every right to display the trophy, hang the banner. Asterisk would only mean that no parade was held.

Whichever four teams are chosen, the playoff should be in one location (Dallas, Indy, LA, Glenville) and put the teams in a bubble for 2 and 3 weeks.

huntinkev

Needs an Asterisk.

Any team can beat another any given Saturday. Without these teams playing a full schedule, it will need an astericks. How many games has OSU played? Who have they played?

BamaProud

I think that if a team that has only played 6 or 7 games an asterisk is certainly needed to designate a partial season.

But if a team played a full schedule like most in the ACC, SEC and Big12 etc... the asterisk should be there to designate perhaps the most difficult schedules during the most difficult years ever .
If Alabama wins it they will have 2 more SEC wins than any other Team in history. They also played a game without their head coach.

Last edited:

Mescalero

Enjoy your asterisk and be sure to regale your grandkids with the tale of Bama winning 10 SEC games in 2020. Many Big 12, PAC 12, and Big 10 champions have won 10 conference games. Do they get asterisks too?

Mescalero

It's a powerful story. Could almost write itself. Years from now when you tell that bed time story to the grandkids about Mizzou and Arkansas and Kentucky wow. The story of the Tennessee game will bring a smile to their faces for sure. Texas A&M when Saint Nick beat that ugly rich guy really, really bad. The Pirate and the Lane Train that will be great, but I'd be afraid they'll be too excited to sleep. Tread carefully with the LSU win. Baton Rouge? Orgeron? You know where that can lead if you aren't careful, especially if they are young. Maybe let their grandmother tell that one. Oh, and don't forget the game when the little engine that could
came to Tuscaloosa, Stetson Bennett the Fourth. That one could get a little sensitive for the youngest. Let their grandmother tell that one too.

Are you going to show them the gold star?

BamaProud

It's a powerful story. Could almost write itself. Years from now when you tell that bed time story to the grandkids about Mizzou and Arkansas and Kentucky wow. The story of the Tennessee game will bring a smile to their faces for sure. Texas A&M when Saint Nick beat that ugly rich guy really, really bad. The Pirate and the Lane Train that will be great, but I'd be afraid they'll be too excited to sleep. Tread carefully with the LSU win. Baton Rouge? Orgeron? You know where that can lead if you aren't careful, especially if they are young. Maybe let their grandmother tell that one. Oh, and don't forget the game when the little engine that could
came to Tuscaloosa, Stetson Bennett the Fourth. That one could get a little sensitive for the youngest. Let their grandmother tell that one too.

Are you going to show them the gold star?

Here's an idea, construct a logical argument to to debate my post rather than making up some fantastical story about me telling a story to my imaginary grand kids. Facts beat emotion and hyperbolic storytelling.

Give me an example of a tougher schedule ever played in any conference than what Alabama is facing in 2020. Not to mention the COVID ramifications of completing potentially 12 games.

What you are trying to claim is that Alabama's original 2020 opponents (USC, GA State, Kent State and UT Martin) are better opponents than their SEC replacements. That is nonsensical.

Mescalero

Here's an idea, construct a logical argument to to debate my post rather than making up some fantastical story about me telling a story to my imaginary grand kids. Facts beat emotion and hyperbolic storytelling.

Give me an example of a tougher schedule ever played in any conference than what Alabama is facing in 2020. Not to mention the COVID ramifications of completing potentially 12 games.

What you are trying to claim is that Alabama's original 2020 opponents (USC, GA State, Kent State and UT Martin) are better opponents than their SEC replacements. That is nonsensical.

PillsburyDoughboy

They can't

PillsburyDoughboy

The NCAA Rankings to me tell the whole story. Take a look at it. Have you ever seen it take such a drastic sharp turn? Emphasis on drastic.

Teams that have not been in the top 8 are in in the top 8 and teams that have not been in the top 25 are in the 25.

There can only really be two answers. Covid and possibly scheduling a distant second.

And before you bash me for saying Covid hear me out.

Its not Covid by itself. Nor is it the scheduling by itself. Its the way the coaches responded to Covid and the Scheduling and were able to adjust and prepare the team around it that has made the differences. Clearly Nick Saban has made the adjustment the best. He found some way to develop his players and unite his players during this mess and keep them focused. While teams like Georgia , LSU and auburn clearly lost focus and did not develop at the same rate.

Mescalero

It's an indictment of the American way of life. Nick Saban, cough Democrat cough, is the only person standing between us and chaos.

Mescalero

The NCAA Rankings to me tell the whole story. Take a look at it. Have you ever seen it take such a drastic sharp turn? Emphasis on drastic.

Teams that have not been in the top 8 are in in the top 8 and teams that have not been in the top 25 are in the 25.

There can only really be two answers. Covid and possibly scheduling a distant second.

And before you bash me for saying Covid hear me out.

Its not Covid by itself. Nor is it the scheduling by itself. Its the way the coaches responded to Covid and the Scheduling and were able to adjust and prepare the team around it that has made the differences. Clearly Nick Saban has made the adjustment the best. He found some way to develop his players and unite his players during this mess and keep them focused. While teams like Georgia , LSU and auburn clearly lost focus and did not develop at the same rate.
In all seriousness, and with regard to those "NCAA rankings," Louisiana beat #6 Iowa State by 17, has one loss to ISU's two losses, ISU didn't play last Saturday but moved up to #6, and Louisiana is #19. You and the OP don't see the rankings for the joke that they are because your team is ranked #1. You are both trying to come up with all sorts of reasons to justify the joke from gold stars to bronze stars to a claim that if Nick Saban was in charge of the CDC all would be well.

BamaProud

In all seriousness, and with regard to those "NCAA rankings," Louisiana beat #6 Iowa State by 17, has one loss to ISU's two losses, ISU didn't play last Saturday but moved up to #6, and Louisiana is #19. You and the OP don't see the rankings for the joke that they are because your team is ranked #1. You are both trying to come up with all sorts of reasons to justify the joke from gold stars to bronze stars to a claim that if Nick Saban was in charge of the CDC all would be well.
You are entitled to your own opinion. But facts do not support your opinion.

Mescalero

You are entitled to your own opinion. But facts do not support your opinion.
What is not a fact? Are you saying none of this happened? Louisiana never beat ISU by 17. Louisiana's only loss is to #11 Coastal Carolina. ISU moved up but played no one. Cincinnati has dropped two straight weeks but did not play. Florida has two losses and dropped one spot after losing at home as a 24 point favorite to a 3-6 LSU squad starting a true freshman QB in his first game and with a roster missing 30 players. The BCS algorithm would have these teams ranked from 1-10: Alabama, ND, Ohio State, Clemson, TAM, Cincinnati, Indiana, Georgia, ISU, Coastal Carolina.

None of that is my opinion. In your opinion, what of that is not a fact?

Latest posts