Will it germinate?

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Will my wheat seed planted this late germinate? what is the minumum average tempurature for wheat to take off?

I know it's late, but this drought has made it very tough to get this plot to take off this season.

CL

Tree Man

Yes it should germinate. The last two weeks I have planted wheat in the nursery. What I planted two weeks ago had a rain and is up. What I planted last week is not up yet, but has not had any rain. From the way the radar looks that is going to change in the next few hours.
I saw a farmer plant wheat last year the week of Thanksgiving. I thought that it was too late but it came up.

Trapper John

It will germinate, but in my area the forecasted lows are at about 29 for a few days this week. If the wheat gets an inch or so on it it could very well survive that, but if the sprouts freeze it could die.

Might as well try.

In_my_sights

Macon,Davidson, and anywhere else I can hunt
It will sprout!!!
I had some come up during a warm spell last fall(late). Adequate moisture with no frost or freezing temps will produce germination in clover and WW. I did buy some of the Walmart Wildlife mix (clover,rape,turnips,winter wheat @ 7.60 60lbs) in hopes I'd have better germination. The winter wheat has a lower percentage of germination this year because of the drought. It is actually being sold as seed wheat because of the lack of germination.( 60% ) Here is my clover over seeded with the mix above and BFO.

Bottomcloveroatswheat211-4-07.jpg

Bottomcloveroatswheat11-4-07.jpg

Crappie Luck

Staff member
That's why I asked. I figured I'd throw out the rest of my seed to try and fill in the bald spots and areas that have been overgrazed. I put anohter 20 lbs onto 1/4 acre total right before the storm. Then when i got back out elctric went out. It just came back on :)

:)

Latest posts