Will 308 subsonic pack enough punch?

Speedwell-Hunter

Will running a suppressor on an AR10 and using subsonic ammo be enough to put down a deer at 25-75 yd?

I ask due to the noise obviously. Here is the ballistic info of the cartridge I am eyeing:

Specifications:

• Casing: Factory Brass
  • Bullet Style: Sierra Match King
  • Bullet Weight (Grains): 200
  • Primer Type: Large Rifle Primer 9.5

Ballistics:

• Muzzle Velocity (FPS): 1,000
  • Muzzle Energy (Ft. Lbs.): 480
  • Test Barrel Length: 20-inch

Runs about $1.15 a round before shipping
1670504545254.png

Talome13

I'm not trying to deter you one way or the other. A proper hunting bullet designed to expand properly at subsonic speeds will absolutely take a deer at your ranges.

BSK

Back when I was doing work in the "deer eradication" business, we used a suppressed Styre 308 and sub-sonic rounds (200 grn bullet). Yes, it will kill a deer, but head-shots are a must.

Jbbivens

Yes. It will kill at those ranges. Several companies now make subsonic expanding bullets to load. If you don't have any of the subsonic expanding bullets then just cheap soft points will work but don't expect much expansion. Again shot placement is key.

TNlandowner

I've had success with Maker 180 grain REX .308 bullets fired at 1060 fps. Both deer were within 50 yards. Spine or head shot recommended.... Actually, a chest vital shot will kill the deer, but you are likely to lose the deer when it runs away with almost no blood trail.

Attachments

• Subsonic hunting.jpg
    Subsonic hunting.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 87

Speedwell-Hunter

As far as I'm aware, FMJ is prohibited by the TWRA for hunting purposes. Unless you absolutely have to shoot suppressed, I'd just get some cheap Norma Whitetail 150s.

I've had success with Maker 180 grain REX .308 bullets fired at 1060 fps. Both deer were within 50 yards. Spine or head shot recommended.... Actually, a chest vital shot will kill the deer, but you are likely to lose the deer when it runs away with almost no blood trail.
if it doesnt cycle bolt in the 308 AR10, thats ok if i just take one shot then manually cycle the round out, correct?

skipperbrown

A subsonic 200gr bullet out of a rifle is very close to the velocity and energy of .45 acp round. Yes, it will do the work on a deer sized animal at 75yds with proper bullet placement. That said, the choice of a FMJ bullet for hunting is not in good form. While there have been a ton of deer killed with a FMJ, most of them are cruising along at twice the speed and it's illegal. You are going to have a little hole and maybe no exit wound and this could result in a deer traveling a long, long, long way before dying.

Now the specs say 200g Sierra match king which are hollow points, but at the bottom it says FMJ. My guess is that these are really hollow points if they are really SMKs. Lots of deer have been killed with SMKs, but most of them are running 2x+ the speed on impact and even then, expansion isn't predictable. At subsonic speeds, I doubt they will expand at all.

Find some subsonic hunting loads or make your own.

And yes, if your AR doesn't cycle, you can manually clear it. Just be on the lookout for unstabilized loads (key holing) and squibs and definitely re-zero your rifle. If your rifle is a 1:12 twist, it may not like a heavy, slow moving bullet.

There is a 2 minute drop adjustment (about 2" at 100 yds) on my gun going from 50 to 75 yds and another 2 min drop at 100 yds using 220g bullets. These rounds drop like a rock.

RockMcL

Will running a suppressor on an AR10 and using subsonic ammo be enough to put down a deer at 25-75 yd?

I ask due to the noise obviously. Here is the ballistic info of the cartridge I am eyeing:

Specifications:

• Casing: Factory Brass
  • Bullet Style: Sierra Match King
  • Bullet Weight (Grains): 200
  • Primer Type: Large Rifle Primer 9.5

Ballistics:

• Muzzle Velocity (FPS): 1,000
  • Muzzle Energy (Ft. Lbs.): 480
  • Test Barrel Length: 20-inch

Runs about $1.15 a round before shipping
View attachment 159651
This is full metal jacket an illegal in TN, not to mention ill advised. Game kings in the same specs would work...

RockMcL

SSK used to sell 338 Whisper uppers for AR10s. Me, 1040 and under I am looking for fat to go with the slow.

Speedwell-Hunter

where did u get these rounds at, thank you!

jaypz4

Yep it will take one down and yes it will recycle if you have right ammunition and also may to put in different gas block.

Latest posts