Wild Plums

TNlandowner

I ordered a variety of trees: one bundle each of Persimmon, Redbud, Wild Plum, Extra-large pecan, and a hybrid Pitch & Lobolly Pine

Sure hope the MDC nursery has good quality seedlings to go with their great prices.

TS_13

I just called them because I have not heard from them yet, and I was nervous. She said my trees are being shipped next week! When you get yours let me know how they look.

TS_13

Congrats! How did it go??? My little one is due in 7wks.

Trees looked good, I recieved them thursday and planted them in pots.

They are anywhere from 1-3.5ft and branched. The roots are great! In a 3 gal pot some took up most of the pot so I put them in larger pots. So hopefully they will put on a lot of growth fairly quick! Overall I am happy, especially for 13 bucks!

T

TNlandowner

T,

Congratulations right back to you. What a wonderful occation. We are truly blessed. My boy came in with a bang (literally due to the thunderstorms) yesterday morning. He and mom are healthy and all's well.

My trees shipped yesterday. I plan to put them in the ground this weekend.
Jim

TNlandowner

I planted 175 trees from MDC last Saturday. I couldn't use a dibble bar because the root balls were too large! While awesome seedlings, my back still hurts from digging so many holes with a shovel. We got 1.75" of rain yesterday, so hopefully the trees are off to a good start.

TS_13

I got mine from a local nursery. They gave them to me free, 3 and 5 gallon. Also check landscape installation companies, they keep all of the old pots from their jobs, they have a ton (my old room mate works at one).

TNlandowner

My MDC plum, gray dogwood, and red bud trees are already growing and have all sprouted leaves! The pecan, persimmon, and oaks are still dormant. I hope we don't have a long freeze similiar to a few years ago.

TNlandowner

TS_13 said:
Let us know how they grow this year. It will be interesting to see how well they take off.

How big were the persimmons?

I'll be happy to let you know how the trees do. The wild plums are growing well and should make a little thicket very quickly.

The persimmon trees averaged 30" with HUGE root balls. We machine planted 100 persimmon seedlings three years ago. Most of the trees died and the survivors have grown very little. Our local forester warned me that persimmons don't grow well from seedlings. However, even after transplant shock, the MDC persimmons have already sprouted leaves and are growing better then the older persimmon trees.

I'll definately buy many more trees from MDC this fall.

Jim

Latest posts