Wild Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setterman

Just curious as to the legality of killing these things right now? Last weekend I did a little Grouse hunting around Brimstone and the pigs are completely out of control. Had one get after one of our bird dogs, and didn't know whether I can kill them or not.

Also ran into some form of TWRA trap contraption that was pretty interesting as it was a wire enclosure, but the gate was held open to keep it from dropping even though the pig sing was heavy inside the pen. I guess this is done to gather a large group rather than singles. Also, I'm sure the trail cam got some nice pics of me as well. I smiled and waved :grin:

Really just wanted to know if we can kill pigs if our dogs are in jeopardy. English Setters aren't known as great fighters, and I would hate to lose a dog to these nasty critters which have invaded.

scn

Jim,

I don't have a handle on where Brimstone is. If it is part of the North Cumberland WMA, the regs say that wild hogs may be taken during any hunts with the hunting device legal for that hunt.

It is hard to envision a scenario where a citation would be written to a person protecting a pointing breed dog.

If Brimstone isn't part of North Cumberland, I'd give Region IV a call about the killing of hogs in a "non-protection" mode.

Todd Lamb

I ran into the same thing on Briceville mountain, but I was coon hunting and a group of pigs put me and the dog back in the truck.

Setterman

Steve, thanks for the info and this is area is part of north Cumberland. Grouse killing has been terrible so far, but if I get my hands on some I will send some feathers your way.

Something needs to be done to eradicate these horrible creatures. Why is there is nothing being done to allow a no holds barred killing of every pig? It seems that now is past the time to try and get in front of this problem.

scn

Setterman said:
Steve, thanks for the info and this is area is part of north Cumberland. Grouse killing has been terrible so far, but if I get my hands on some I will send some feathers your way.

Something needs to be done to eradicate these horrible creatures. Why is there is nothing being done to allow a no holds barred killing of every pig? It seems that now is past the time to try and get in front of this problem.

Unfortunately, the no holds barred approach has not worked in any state where it has been adopted. Such an approach led to illegal translocations in TN. So TWRA is trying the management strategy of the only state that has shown any success in their eradication efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts