Why we miss turkeys

xatxay

I'm embarrassed to admit I've missed turkeys more than once in the past 27 years. This season l witnessed two friends miss.
What are the most common reasons for missing?
I have a theory that most of the time we'd be better with more open chokes.
Thoughts?

Carlos

I missed about 2 weeks ago- once after dawn, and again that afternoon.
The first time, I'd twisted the gun around a tree, and had to angle it sideways- so my head wasn't available. DA move on my part.

The second time- I fired into the sky, prob 6ft over their heads. I have no idea why- other than I had to wait on the 2 longbeards to separate.
I blew my season right there- all in one day! At least I did that right lmao.

Hymie3

In my experience it depends on the distance the target is at when you pull the trigger. Seems more likely to miss one with a full choke up closer. And I think a lot of folks aim at the head instead of a little lower on the neck and shoot over them.
Open or cylinder chokes will work also if you get them bird in close. My two cents.

REN

Chokes yes but I don't think it's as much as people claim.

Main issues I personally see are poor shooting technique and bad shots. I've seen it a ton of times and done it myself by rushing shots or people picking their head up to fast to see if they hit it. Also I see a lot of just bad technique/form in general

In a seated position lots of folks end up being having to drive their head into the gun because their knee or position is lower then normal. This leads to bad for and head placement. Add in shooting a bead at a small target and it is bound to happen a lot

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
My "misses" have all been due to range estimating. Both of them were much farther than I thought. Not that it would have helped me on the Toms being too far, but I do love my red dots.

drake799

Not being able to handle the moment one be a main one Turkey fever if you will. Another would be using a decoy and waiting till a bird comes in and starts fighting the decoy. I cringe every time I see a video and someone lets the bird do that. Reaping would be the same thing. For me I love a good standing 25-30 yard shot Let the bird stretch his head up and put the bead right where the wattles meet the feathers and let it go. Shooting too far is another No telling how many birds a year are wounded because of that

Gobble4me757

I used to miss 2-3 yearly…though would still kill a pile of birds between multiple states. My main reasoning was over choking cause I chased the hot core patterns and not hunting patterns. Ever since I stopped shooting .555 Indian creeks etc and switched to a .585 trulock or the .575 trulock in my other gun I rarely have missed or wounded a bird. I don't use decoys so a lot of my shots are having to shift last second etc

Wrangler95

Ive turkey hunted 38 years and have missed a bunch of gobblers,so dont feel bad.Missed gobblers mainly when I used open sights!

nate17

I have missed 2 birds in 23 or so years of turkey hunting. One was an ill advised shot with an underpowered load with no rest. The other I swung on a bird that came in silent on my off side. In both instances I had spent nearly my entire morning trying to kill those birds and I think I felt some pressure to take the shot. I have a few hard rules I try to never break.

1. Don't shoot a moving bird
2. I try to always have a rest. Either gun on my knee or elbow in my ribs. I've seen too many people wear themselves out trying to hold the gun up. Gun up, gun down, gun up. By the time the bird comes in, you're tired and the chances of missing are increased.
3. There's no shame in letting a bird walk away. I did it this year and ended up eating a non resident tag. It's a much better alternative than taking a low percentage shot and crippling a bird. I realize we all get caught up in the moment at times (myself included), but just take a deep breath and think it through.
4. Don't take 60-70 yard shots with TSS just because you can. It's unethical and you'll benefit in the long run and become a much better Turkey hunter from watching a bird move into ethical shotgun range.

Hope everyone has had a great Turkey season.