Why so skinny? (pic)

LanceS4803

All the other deer on this property are looking nice and healthy, but a camera pull today showed this one.
Just a runt of the litter, or something to be worried about?

GRIT

Maybe got hit crossing the road .
looks like she might be trying to stay off of that left hip.

Poleaxe

HD one year before last on camera that was undernourished like that and had a set of twins with her. Don't know if they sucked her dry or what. Halfway through the season I would see the fawns but never saw her. She could've pulled through and been one of the many does I saw or she could've subcome to mother nature.

LanceS4803

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for her.
This year has been a little different on this property. Still seeing large numbers of healthy does, fawns and young bucks. For the first time, NO mature bucks. I'm attributing that to the amount of work I've been doing in the woods.
Almost done, so things will hopefully get calmed back down and back to normal in the next couple of months.

LanceS4803

Re: Why so skinny? (pic) Update

She is still around with two fawns. Here is a recent photo from a camera pull today.
Plus, she walked right under my climber last week. Moved fine and when she got to the base of my tree, startled and ran about 10 yards pretty darned quick.
Do deer just not keep the weight on when they are older?

Tn_Va_Hunter

My best guess would be those 2 fawns sucked the life right out of her. That's how my kids do me !! No but seriously. It's probably tough to keep up 2 fawns and yourself. Takes a lot of energy and food

Latest posts