Why high fence operations?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Why is it that high fence operations are at such high risk for CWD than the regular population? I doubt it's because of deer density since lots of wild populations are just as high. More older deer? That's possible and since older deer are more susceptible that may make sense, but I just don't think so. What about feeding programs? Once it became known that mad cow was spread by the feed farmers were feeding they got it under control (right?). I'm wondering about the feed in these high fence operations...what's in it? Is it just corn? Deer pellets? What's in the deer pellets?

Again, my question is why are high fence operations high risk? Haven't seen anything about that so far.

infoman jr.

In a wild herd, you generally don't measure deer density in deer per square yard.

1395777171001-07-BuckFever-11xx13.jpg

Lost Lake

My thoughts are that most animals are not meant to live right on top of one another, in their own feces and urine contaminated ground. I'd guess that Mother Nature is taking control of a possible man induced problem and dealing with it.

JMO

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
infoman jr.":31klmd5h said:
In a wild herd, you generally don't measure deer density in deer per square yard.

1395777171001-07-BuckFever-11xx13.jpg

So the problem IS because of density? Still the question remains, why are they even allowed then?

megalomaniac

A high fence is not the same as a high fence as a high fence....

The bulk of the problem originated in game farms... High fence farming enclosures designed to genetically manipulate whitetail antlers... We have mastered that to the point where we are now able to grow 200" 1.5 y/o bucks, and 4.5 y/os in the 400's, occasionally 500's. Those million dollar bucks are used for semen to sell for AI. Because of the unreal high deer densities and the constant trading of deer from one facility to another across state lines, CWD was seeded throughout the US.

Fast forward to the typical high fence hunting locations... most of those were put up to allow deer to reach maturity before hunting. The owners had unrealistic expectations that they would grow 170" deer routinely, but local genetics just don't allow that to happen. The easiest way is to introduce a few does or bucks from game ranches who have the potential to reach 225" or so... Those are relatively cheap ($10,000 or so) and introduce the high scoring genes into the enclosure... Problem is, if you bring in a deer from a CWD facility, then you've just infected your entire herd.

Then the majority of high fence properties have done everything right. Never imported a singe deer, just allowed their own deer to age naturally with unlimited food and an absence of predators. There's nothing wrong with that. Most of those properties are extensively managed for buck: doe ratios and deer densities kept around 50/ mi2.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
megalomaniac":1g9seta9 said:
A high fence is not the same as a high fence as a high fence....

The bulk of the problem originated in game farms... High fence farming enclosures designed to genetically manipulate whitetail antlers... We have mastered that to the point where we are now able to grow 200" 1.5 y/o bucks, and 4.5 y/os in the 400's, occasionally 500's. Those million dollar bucks are used for semen to sell for AI. Because of the unreal high deer densities and the constant trading of deer from one facility to another across state lines, CWD was seeded throughout the US.

Fast forward to the typical high fence hunting locations... most of those were put up to allow deer to reach maturity before hunting. The owners had unrealistic expectations that they would grow 170" deer routinely, but local genetics just don't allow that to happen. The easiest way is to introduce a few does or bucks from game ranches who have the potential to reach 225" or so... Those are relatively cheap ($10,000 or so) and introduce the high scoring genes into the enclosure... Problem is, if you bring in a deer from a CWD facility, then you've just infected your entire herd.

Then the majority of high fence properties have done everything right. Never imported a singe deer, just allowed their own deer to age naturally with unlimited food and an absence of predators. There's nothing wrong with that. Most of those properties are extensively managed for buck: doe ratios and deer densities kept around 50/ mi2.

Thank you! Very informative.

Still would like to know why/how did it start in that one farm in Colorado in 1967? And why didn't it occur "naturally"? Or did it? If it did why didn't we notice it? Deer numbers exploded in the 70's 80's and 90's, so maybe it was always there but deer densities weren't high enough to notice? I don't think that's true based on the prion and how durable it is and how easily transmitted it is and how lethal it is. Deer are always swapping spit.

AT Hiker

poorhunter":2qnth0kx said:
Still would like to know why/how did it start in that one farm in Colorado in 1967? And why didn't it occur "naturally"? Or did it? If it did why didn't we notice it? .

I doubt you'll ever get a clear cut answer on this, it would likely mean that researchers would have to admit to something they don't want to. Lots of conspiracies out there too.

But, I will give you a quick theory on "mad cow" disease that I was taught in college. Basically what some think happened is that sheep infected with scrapie (another prion) was ground up and fed to cattle (bone meal, high protein). Cattle then Contracted it and we later started grinding cattle up to fed to each other (protein). Mad Cow spread (BSE), now they have outlawed feeding cattle to each other.

An important note though, livestock kept in CWD known facilities have yet to contract it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts